painperdu

Perforation Machine For Cut Vinyl?

I search but can't find anywhere. Would it be feasable to perforate vinyl after it is cut?

I'd like to do cut vinyl for rear auto windows but I understand an obstructed window could get me and a customer in trouble with the law.

I gather that it would be impracticle to try to cut perforated vinyl as the blade would choke up on the holes?

What if the vinyl was perforated after it was cut. Would this work?

I would say NO Just sub the work out to Scott

dakotagrafx

and not worry about it then its done the correct way ...

Most states don't have a law for the rear windows. There's a lot of vehicles, that don't even have rear windows. But, they do require dual side mirrors.

mr300s, I'm talking about vinyl lettering. dakodagrafx can perforate vinyl lettering? How does he do this?

knucklehead, my states says that the windows, including the rear window, cannot have nontransparent material on it. I know that vans and trucks can be exempted as long as they have a certain size side mirrors installed. If I could find a way to perforate vinyl lettering it would solve this problem.

madhat, I'll chack into that. It would be even easier if I had a simple machine that could punch the small holes in the vinyl after it's cut.

Get perforated vinyl printed, laminated, then cut. Does the state say anything about the amount of perforation? You have 30/70, 50/50, 70/30, mainly. Don't forget the lamination, or the holes will fill up with water. Dakota can do it, no problem.

thanks guys -   one thing though I do use frog juice on the perf instead of lam - it does make it impossible to see out of when wet but even though they call the laminate optically clear I have yet to see one that doesn't make me sea sick to look thru so I woudl rather use my side mirrors in the rain and see better during the majority of the time that it is dry than to looks thru that "optically clear" distortion all the time

not sure how you would perf it evenly after cutting regular vinyl that is why the printable window perf comes pre perfed

Knucklehead, the law is very vague in that it only states the material needs to be transparent. It gives no objective test rules like it does for window tint.

I see car windows all the time with window lettering so I guess it's not taken serious but it's best to be on the side of the law in business.

There's a lot of vehicles, that don't even have rear windows. But, they do require dual side mirrors.

On the flips side of this in South Carolina you are not required to have outside mirrors as long as you have an unobstructed view out the rear glass. 

darcshadow,

See Louisiana RS 32:282 line C :

"C.  No person shall drive any vehicle with any nontransparent material upon the windshield, side wings, side or rear windows, other than a certificate or other paper required to be so displayed by law, or permitted by regulation of the secretary of public safety. "

Transparent = see through. I'd still do it since everybody else does but if there's an accident or something they'll point to that when writing tickets I'm sure.