Sign in to follow this  
GraphxNMore

Mugs.... HELP!!!

What's going on here? I did 4 one day for an order, came out perfect. A week later, had a few more of the same mugs; but now they're hazy, blacks are brown except at the bottom of the mugs. Talked to Ted, he said add pressure. So I cranked up the pressure and it's still subbing brilliantly on the bottom, but not so much above 3/4" off the bottom, as seen in the image. I'm doing 400° for 300 seconds. My temp gun is an el cheapo that doesn't hold readings when checking my range top, so I can't verify for sure that the temp is consistent all the around the press.

post-37957-0-18795300-1442766726_thumb.j

It looks like one of 2 things. The press is not putting even pressure or even temperature on the upper half. Does the press have 2 screws to adjust the pressure? If so try just adjusting the one for the top a bit tighter. If that dont help it could be the heating element is starting to go.

Just one tension screw. Adding pressure DID help, but it's still nowhere near as vivid as it was and should be. I was afraid the element is the problem. I'm gonna borrow a SnapOn temp gun from a buddy and just see.

Thanks!

Gonna try lengthening the press time on another messed up mug and see if it may actually help. What have I got to lose?? Lol

PS: Everything I press on my platen press comes perfect.

I was going to say it looks like to much heat when you start seeing that brown on the paper or mug.  Also make sure you are taping the image good and remove it right away...

I usually do 350 degrees for 150 seconds and they turn out great.  I did the first one at 180 seconds and I got a little brown but backed off the time to 150 sec. and everything worked out well.  Trial and Error.