Sign in to follow this  
LKASurfing

Need Help - Double cutting the image!

My claim of successful, is that I have been repeatedly cutting the  same (total mess)  image without any issues as well as a several others. Meaning not double / triple cutting over the same line.

From what I have gathered, the trace function on the program is what is causing this. When I take the new cleaned up image which cut fine (when I imported it) when I put in the trace, it cuts twice...

I understand that my image was not well, but there seems to be more than that going on. 

Anyway, I am cutting again, just in a different way. Thanks again. 

You'll get it figured out. I think you were mistaking the trace function to some degree. All it will do is try to vectorize (or trace out with a line and curves) the outline of the image you point it at. After you do this you should remove the original picture file (which is typically a jpeg or png raster type image with pixels) and then save your work with a new file name. Your program will generally choose the vector format that it considers native (.svg with SCALP I believe also same with Inkscape). SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphic and there are other similar files that can contain vectors within them, the other most common ones are EPS and AI files. Vector files can have pixel images embedded within them but until they are traced they are just a picture without any data that a cutter will recognize. The cutter would just see a square box the size of the very edge of the pic if you were to try and cut an un-traced image. If you do a little studying on vector vs raster you will learn a lot and it will help you understand the concept. Also you can switch your view mode from filled objects to outlines and often get a better view of what your cutter is seeing. This is particularly helpful when you are needing to weld objects together or with script fonts that overlap to be sure they are connected and not overlapped.  

• Like 1

Let me ask this question, because you just confused me more LOL..  This statement of yours.."When I take the new cleaned up image which cut fine (when I imported it) when I put in the trace, it cuts twice...   What file format is that imported image?   BEFORE you trace it? 

Let me ask this question, because you just confused me more LOL..  This statement of yours.."When I take the new cleaned up image which cut fine (when I imported it) when I put in the trace, it cuts twice...   What file format is that imported image?   BEFORE you trace it? 

I had it converted to an .eps

My only reason for trying to use the trace was to try and locate the double print issue..... So when I imported it it cuts once. When I run it through the trace, it cuts multiples. Everyone suggested previously that it was the image. again, just trying g to figure all this out. 

This is the image I submitted to the website. 

WakeSurf_540_smal.eps

Ok first off this .eps file is a ready to cut vector file.  Size it what you want it  to be and send it right to your cutter. No need to trace it. Every time you trace it, you are adding another layer of lines to it. ,and every layer is going to cut again and again, as many times as you have traced it again and again. You only should be tracing. raster files like Jpegs and bitmaps. (pixels pixelated). Files like.eps .ai. svg. crd files are already vector files (outlines) and are ready to cut. You do not trace them..

Tracing is to vectorize/ convert a raster file (pixels) to a vector file(outlines)so you can cut it on your vinyl cutter. Vinyl cutters cut outlines. This file is already a vector file and ready to cut. You need to do some home work and know what the different file formats are.

• Like 2

Just a heads up but EPS files can also contain raster images. Remember to inspect your design in wire frame before cutting. If all you see is a square border you are probably dealing with a raster image and need to trace.

• Like 2

posted on USCutter support

Vectorizing / How to make an image cuttable

Making an image cuttable has nothing to do with the cutter you buy and everything to do with the image and the software you're using. In these tutorials, we will show you how to trace a Raster image ( .bmp, .jpg, .tiff, .gpg, ) and convert it to a vector image. Bitmaps or Rasters are composed of pixels; they are useful if you want to achieve a photographic quality image with complex color gradients or bitmap effects. Vector images on the other hand, are composed of lines and curves, which are easy to manipulate as individual objects. Raster images (pixels) are too abstract for your cutter to understand. When it's trying to process an image, it wants to know:  where does it start; where it needs to go and what path to take between those two points. That type of information is what a vector image provides.

Click here for Vectorizing Tutorials

Look at "Multi cut". It should say "off". It's in the window when you click "cutter" to cut.