Sign in to follow this  
ghost1

Greetings from the D...

Good morning all, newbie here from Detroit!

I'm TOTALLY new to vinyl cutting/signmaking but eager to learn as much as possible. We just bought a commercial building here in the D and lo and behold there was an Allen 824 sitting in the corner. Removed the cover and found a pretty decent machine (albeit, rather old...) and a manual for flexisign pro.

I picked up a lightly used pc off craigslist and got a buddy to install flexi...Houston - we have liftoff!

;D

I have just been practicing so far, cutting a few designs that my friend worked on before setting me up. It's fun, but now I am absolutely chomping at the bit to learn so I can start making my own stuff.

So, I will be around here asking questions and seeking advice from those in the know. No experience WHATSOEVER with any of this stuff, so take it easy on the new fella, okay? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jay

ps - as soon as I figure out the site and how to upload pix I'll post a few...

Awesome find. Welcome to the forum. Allen is supposed to be a solid cutter so you probably found a good one. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome all of you.

I know it's a long shot to find the information I'm going to need to get going on a forum dedicated to another brand of cutter...I have been perusing a couple of threads and I should be getting high speed internet at the shop soon. I am just a regular guy who found a cool machine, I don't have an actual business per se, but I have to get a business acct in order to get the high speed connection at the building.

Anyway, I will do a bunch more "googling" and try to get as much information as I can with regards to this Allen 824. It's currently working ok, but I think it's out of whack. the pressure or speed is off I think. The vinyl is tearing on some of the smaller cuts. Maybe the files need to be cleaned up...I'm rambling now...

maybe it's time to start a thread soon?

Well you are actually in pretty good luck because cutters all pretty much work on the same principals so actual brand is only going to have difference with parts and misc. I started out with one of the USCutter models and got to know the forum but later went out and bought a Summa. The short google search I did yesterday leads me to believe the Allen to be a solid machine. I also see they are supported in SignCut Pro which is my cutting utility of choice. I read they are based in New Hampshire I think. 

For your issues I would not be surprised if the blade has a broken tip. That will produce the issues you are seeing. 

Thank you, goose.

I will get it sorted one way or the other...been poking around on the interwebs and got the number for Allen. I'm going to give them a call today once I figure out what to ask! Hahaha

I grabbed some files from a few of these threads here and just finished cutting some hello titty decals. I will try to post some pics soon for the peanut gallery to laugh at.

After reading through a bunch of posts this morning it seems like y'all are a pretty decent crew. glad I found this forum!

Thanks again, hombre and thanks to everyone who has shared their work on this forum!

Jay

• Like 1

Well, just finished making a whole bunch of cool decals...lots of fun!

I guess the cutter is pretty dialed in, which is amazing considering that it was sitting for so long. seems like the files I was originally trying to cut need some work...the ones I just cut from the files I downloaded this morning cut flawlessly for the most part. probably need to clean mine up a bit.

I have reached out to a couple of members here...I will take some pics and try to upload them tomorrow.

• Like 1

Having trouble uploading pics atm...I'll get it

Big ups to SkareKrow! He is a true professional

;)

gotta go make some more decals - finished up a couple of original designs today so I am PUMPED! now I just have to keep putting in the hours on flexi. Awesome Krew here, love it!

Jay

okay, figured it out...here's some pics! I will put up some of the original work I'm currently doing

http://forum.uscutter.com/uploads/gallery/album_261/gallery_94932_261_259344.png

http://forum.uscutter.com/uploads/gallery/album_261/gallery_94932_261_663373.png

http://forum.uscutter.com/uploads/gallery/album_261/gallery_94932_261_783466.png

Awesome! You guys rock..thanks again to all who have helped.

Jay

• Like 3

@skeeter -Rodney Dangerfield maybe...'cause I get no respect! Hahaha. Just kidding. I don't think so, is he a Jew from Brooklyn?

@skeeter -Rodney Dangerfield maybe...'cause I get no respect! Hahaha. Just kidding. I don't think so, is he a Jew from Brooklyn?

PM sent.