Jesse147

Getting started.

I'm looking to get started in make vinyl decals. I have a few questions on what types of vinyl should be used. I want to make custom stickers that will be placed on gaming controllers. The decal will have to be resistant to abrasions, scratches, smearing, and sweaty palms. Also, it will have to be removable with out leaving adhesive residue. The stickers will be printed with and inkjet printer then cut out with a plotter/cutter. So my questions are what vinyls can I use to accomplish this? Will a lamination process be needed? What type of printer will be needed?

First question is.. what is your budget for this?  You will have to consider that first.. that is where ideas need to start from..  But always buy the best that you can afford.

I want to make custom stickers that will be placed on gaming controllers.

Can you attach a picture as an example?

A used Roland BN-20 may be in your price range. Checkout Craigslist and Ebay. You'll want to get vinyl made for wrapping. It costs more, but the cheaper vinyl is only for flat surfaces.

$4000 is a very small budget for what you're wanting to do.  This type of work can't be done on a traditional desktop inkjet printer, at least not at anything approaching professional level work.  You can buy adhesive vinyl that you can inkjet print on, but the design will wear off if you don't laminate it, and if you do laminate it, then it's too thick/stiff to wrap properly.

You need specialty vinyl and special inks that won't work in a cheap printer - believe me, if there was a sub $4000 way to get into this market, I'd be all over it...

• Like 1

Before you start anything...

https://www.pluscontrollers.com/

They have the custom controller market cornered...hard.

I know...I used to custom pain them myself. Now I know a sticker is worlds cheaper and you can change it out but.. These guys do really good work and it's not outrageously priced.

I’m just trying to help. I love making decals. So I say you should still get into it. But…I’d explore other avenues for business.