shainad21

Rain Boots

Needing some advice...

Got an order to place monograms on some rubber rain boots. The customer had planned on ordering them online and placing them herself, so I told her I'd cut and apply for a price that was comparable. But...

The vinyl (Oracal 651) applies great. Looks smooth, stands out on the boots. Then as soon as you flex the material at all, the vinyl bunches up in places and ends up with creases throughout.

Any recommendations? I haven't really tried any other options yet as I'm afraid to do anything that may damage the boot in case I end up having to give them back for her to try another solution.

Thanks in advance,

Shaina

Search on here for rainjackets, some of the suggestions in that thread might work for you.

That may be my only option. I've tried thinking of anything else that could make it stick, and nothing really comes to mind that might work.

That may be my only option. I've tried thinking of anything else that could make it stick, and nothing really comes to mind that might work.

problem is sign vinyl is not made to flex but be applied to a solid surface - so things that flex like the boots really are not what it is made for.  read a lot of this on an entertaining fb group.  HTV flexes much better but then again applying htv to something that melts at such a low point really doesn't work either.

The great thing about people that sell those decals online for that- they do this with no regard to what the outcome is - only to get the item out the door cause they saw it on pintrest or other site and say hey I gotx me a cricut and can make those.  the people in it for the long haul care if the product last and how it looks a year from now

when you see printing on these boots it is usually a flexible paint or even a rubber product that is molded in at the time of manufacture  - the decals you see on the shelf in the store on them are the ones intended to be taken off from what I have seen

• Like 2

Thanks, Dakota... I ended up giving the boots back to the customer. She said she had another person lined up who could do it, so I would rather lose the little bit of profit I would've made than put out a product that wouldn't last.

• Like 4