tomk

Gerber vs Summa vs other suggestions

Hey All,

Looking for feedback (good or bad) on the Gerber FX and Summa DC5sx.

Have a really old Gerber Edge and a Graphtec ce6000-40, looking to upgrade to a new thermal printer, and the DC5sx looks pretty nice, however I've never used Summa equipment.  I like the idea of print and cut, as don't do large banners or anything, and having a 30" would save a lot of panel work for the wife.

Also thinking of just upgrading to the Edge FX, but to be honest, I'm not sure Gerber is committed to the hardware market and hasn't really done anything innovative in a bit.

Like the thermal's because they are easy, can be used in home office without fuss, and they last on outdoor vinyl without having to go through a lamination process.  

Open to other suggestions/efficiency feedback too.  Fairly new to this space, purchased old equipment to get going and now looking to upgrade. 

Thanks,

Tom

I don't know much about the printer market but own a Summa cutter. I went to Summa after several months of research on cutters and came to the overall conclusion that they are the very top of the line. I would assume they are similar in the print and cut market too. The cutters are built in Belgium and are absolutely rock solid. They also offer free lifetime live tech support regardless of who owns them. 

Summa doesn't sell through dealerships from what I have seen, I have nothing but good to report from my experience.  

Here is a link to where I go for blades: https://www.summausa.com

The Summa, is one sweet printer. I don't have one, but I know a guy over where I used to live that does, It makes some pretty incredible prints, and cuts.

I'm in agreement with both Wildgoose and Knucklehead Summa makes an excellent product.  Also don't have any experience with their printers but I do own a D-60 vinyl cutter which I bought used and have had only one problem with which I was able to repair myself.

Summa support is great and you get it for the lifetime of the machine. 

I have had occasion a couple times to see genuine surprise in peoples face when asked what type of cutter I own by those in the industry like my local supplier. Summa is like saying Mercedes or Range Rover or maybe Bentley. There is a definite acknowledgement of fine craftsmanship and world renown associated with them (as well as an above average price tag)

Thanks for the feedback.  I reached out to Summa, these guys don't like to move off list price, that's for sure.  

Anyone know if Summa is available through retail/ecom?  Gerber is pretty aggressive on pricing, I might just go that route unless Summa moves off list.

Tom

Curious, whats the price on the summa unit? I have a gerber edge 2 (and a version 1 for sale) for all the reasons stated above.

If you have a large pipeline, it may be hard to turn down the summa.

Here is my salesman, they sometimes offer show specials and other deals. I actually got my SummaCut at a slightly reduced price as a demo unit but it had never actually been out of the box. Some company had bought 4 and then decided to go wider than the 30" so did a trade back in sort of thing. 

philj        at        summa.us    (You will have to remove the gaps and insert the proper at sign) Phil is a super good guy. 

Thanks, I was dealing with Phil, and he can't move much off list.  Offered me a demo unit for $1k off list, and wouldn't move off list for a new unit, which is crazy.  Gerber is aggressive for the Edge FX so may just go that route and keep my cutting separate.

Have you researched at all over on the big site? signs101  I don't got there very often and almost never post there but some great info can be had with a hot cup of cocoa and a few hours in the search engine. Printers are such a top end expenditure that there are probably more who are fully vested over in that group. Big commitment whatever direction you choose. 

Yea, I've been lurking over there for a bit, mixed feedback on the dc5sx printing.