Sign in to follow this  
KYSIGN

Professional Installation Not Included

I just watched a guy do a wet install on a storefront window using oracal 641 and plastic application tape. It was hilarious. The letters were coming off with the tape and he was holding them down with his fingers while the client watched. The excess adhesive from the 641 was smeared everywhere. I was inside the business and laughing out loud. He had to borrow a razor blade and paper towels to remove the old decal and used nothing but soapy water. When I finished my business I checked out the final product. The design and letters were all misaligned.

I hope this wasn't one of our members.

• Like 2

That is the perfect time to walk over and hand out a business card and let them know there are more qualified people in the area. Of course that guy was probably the owners nephew and you will offend them horribly but hey...

• Like 5

Bahhaahaa. Nice vid Scott. I love watching other people install ever since I have started doing it. Many times I have picked up some nice techniques from the old pro's and laugh my head off at the obvious newbie/self installer. 

I drive a work truck that myself and one of the other employees self installed the company logo on about 4 years before I ever bought a cutter. It was a comedy of errors looking back on our little job. Two layer job and on the second layer which is shadows of the logo I held the decal off the window a half inch and the other guy tried to wait until it was just right and then stuck his finger right in the middle to try and set it. Needless to say it didn't turn out very well. One of these days I'm going to re-do it but my day job boss is so tight he doesn't spring for that kind of thing very often plus I don't like forcing the issue now that I have a side business. I need to just man-up and get the vinyl to do it. Problem is its metallic in a couple obscure colors that I don't stock. 

• Like 1