Yakbreeder

Noob help

I got my first cutter (MH 721-MK2) last week. I've made several simple projects, and all went well with those. Today I go to cut something a bit more complicated, and get this.

Left is what the project should have looked like, right (with arrow) is what happened.

I use Coreldraw X6 for my graphics work, export my project as SVG. Import looks into SCAL 3 normal. I set up a few tabs in SCAL 3 for alignment purposes. The only thing I did different this go around, was to select "simplify" under the path in SCAL Pro 3 (3.059 to be exact.) I thought fewer nodes would be a good thing. Should I not have selected it?

Also, I used the Brush Script font for this project and forgot to weld the letters, but I don't think it should have taken part of the name and moved it 90° plus mirror it.

I also noticed an extra cut line running at a 45° angle in the lower right hand portion of my project that shouldn't have been there.

I'm at a loss, and would like to figure out where I went wrong before wasting more vinyl.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Yak

post-94669-0-39120000-1441215457_thumb.j

Your local newspaper might have end rolls of 24" paper. Mine gave me 2 rolls.

Thanks for the advice Mz SKEETER. I forgot about having the pen that came with the cutter.

I guess the answer to this one will remain a mystery.

No 'mystery'... it's scalp! :blink::wacko::huh::bear:

If you're using a USB connection, look into the KeySpan adapter and various other problems with the MH series, like turning off the cutter between jobs.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info BearlyRich.

I will look into the Keyspan adapter. For now though, I think I'm going to experiment with CorelDraw, and send jobs to the cutter directly from it.

I picked up a roll of kraft paper at Lowes - in the paint dept. 36", but pretty cheap. I cut the whole roll to length with a mitre saw.

Cal

• Like 1

Will a PCIe 2 serial card work instead of the Keyspan adapter?

I'm asking because I'm looking into buying a PCI express 2 serial card instead of the Keyspan adapter. The reason I'm looking at a PCIe 2 serial card, is because I need at least a 6' cord for my setup. 8' would be better.

The Keyspan adapters I've seen online have a 3' cord length for $25-$30. A 6' adapter is $40+.  I can get a PCIe 2 card for $20-$25, and use the serial cable that came with my cutter, which is 8' long.

I know I need to find a PCIe 2 card for Win 7 64bit, but other than that, is there anything special I need to know?

When I initally assembled my stand, I didn't sand away any paint from the stand so I would get a better ground. However today, I did this, and shouldn't have any more problems with static if that was causing my glitch(es)

I did some experimenting today (before I fixed the grounding wire) using CorelDraw X6. I got a single cut right down the middle on the X axis. Differnt graphic from my OP btw. Using the pen on both SCALP and CorelDraw, I can't reproduce any random lines (cuts) with either graphic. But, I shouldn't get any static using printer paper anyway, right?

Any more suggestions would be greatly apprecitated.

Thank you all, for all the help.

Yak

A PCIe serial adapter should do just fine. The problem lies wih interupting the data flow when a buffer fills up. The cheap USB adapters don't handle the pause well or at all, therefore lost data. Almost all serial adapters do handle it.

Yes, using paper instead of vinyl is one of the tests to see if static is a problem. Generally it's the vinyl that causes the static buildup, not the machine.

I don't know about the serial card, but you are complaining about the Keyspan being too short..  Your null modem cable is connected to the connector end of the Keyspan, then to your cutter  Which makes it much longer.  The USB end goes into your computer USB port.   Your Keyspan cannot connect directly to the cutter.

@ BarelyRich, thanks for the comfirming that the serial card will work.

@ Mz Skeeter, I've never heard of a "null modem cable" before, my apologies for my ignorance. I've always just called it a serial cable. I did Google it though, to make sure they're one in the same.

I've ran a few more projects this week, and knock on wood, I haven't had anymore random cuts, nor random placement of text/graphics. Keeping my fingers crossed that redoing my ground wire solved my problem. If not, I'll look into getting the Keyspan adapter.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Yak

You should read the difference between a null modem cable and a straight thru serial cable.  Not the same   They are wired different.  You need a "null modem cable" to use with a Tripplite Keyspan Adapter.   NOT a straight thru serial cable.  Showing one below as example only, Prices vary.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10ft-long-DB9pin-Female-F-Null-Modem-Cross-Nul-wired-Serial-RS232cable-Cord-Wire-/291551838103?hash=item43e1d7ff97

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1EE0DD8AF67922FA86256F720071DECF

Directly from another vendor support;

Some vinyl cutters require a serial connection which is, unfortunately, unavailable on most modern computers (especially laptop). To connect a serial driven device to a computer that only has USB ports, users will need a USB-to-serial adapter along with a null serial cable. We recommend using the Keyspan brand USB to serial adapter. Also, if the serial cable is not a Null cable, it will not work.

• Like 1

Well, I thought I had my glitches solved, and of course I don't.

I'm placing my artwork inside a square box (5"x5") so that I can better line up my projects, plus aid in weeding. I did a grid pattern of 4x2 evenly spaced boxes. The top row of boxes cut staggered, but only on the left two boxes. My artwork did cut correctly though.

I guess I'll be looking into the keyspan adapter AND a null modem cable.

Mz SKEETER, thank you for taking the time to explain that there IS a difference between a null modem cable, and a regular serial cable. Thank you as well for your assistance. I appreciate it very much.

Yak

• Like 1

Why can't the simplest things be simple?

Okay, I oredered the Keyspan adapter. I got the Tripplite Model USA-19HS (DB9 RS232) I also ordered a null modem cable (DB9 RS232) F/M.

Installed Keyspan adapter drivers. It is assigned to COM 3. I ran a COM test with the Keyspan adapter assistant, which came back OK. Baud rate in SCALP and the Keyspan adapter are both set at 4800.

With SCALP pulled up, I change my cut settings to:

Connection: USB

Port: COM 3 (Keyspan USB Serial Port)

The "cutting with cutter" screen pops up. Initializes but never sends the job to the cutter, then crashes scalp. Green light on the Keyspan adapter stays on, till I end task (SCALP) in Windows task manager. After I shut down SCALP, the Keyspan adapter light goes back to blinking every second as it should.

I've changed the cut settings to everything I know to change it to, and it keeps crashing SCALP. This isn't rocket science, it can't be that hard.

Is there a simple setting in the Keyspan that I need to tweak that I'm not aware of? 

I am at a total loss, and I'm about to pull out what remaining hair I have.

Any advice?

Yak

I didn't have time to let support remote into my computer today as I had errands to run. I more or less copied and pasted my previous post into a support ticket right before I left for the day, but haven't heard anything back as of yet. I assume it will be Monday at the earliest.

I just know it's something simple that I'm missing. The fix is always simple. The lightbulb going off in my brain is the difficult part.

Hopefully I'll get this resolved soon.

Thanks again Mz SKEETER for your assistance.

Yak

Have you tired changing the com port numbers?  but still making sure that they match in device manager and SCALP?    Also Maybe it is a problem with Scalp.  Try a different cutting software,  Like the free Signblazer.  or a 1 week trial of  Signcutpro.com

Mz SKEETER,

I haven't tried differnt COM ports within Winows or the Keyspan adapter itself. Figured that if the Keyspan adapter assigned COM3 I should leave well enough alone, and go that route. Although I think I did try COM1, which also didn't work. I did try different settings in SCALP, just kept crashing it though.

I use CorelDraw X6 and was able to print directly from it roughly a week ago, but can't now for some reason. I may not be holding my head just right. Typical for me though. If I can figure out CorelDraw and get it to cut from there with no random cuts, I'll go that route. Might get tech to assist me with that as well if I need to call them at the beginning of the week.

I won't even go the Signcutpro trial route. I don't want to get to liking it, and then feel like I can't live without it. I can't afford it right now anyway. I'm sure it's not cheap. Plus, I refuse to pay for an additional piece of software just to be able to make my cuts.

I downloaded Signblazer, didn't like it's look/feel. I uninstalled it, but may have to give it another shot though. I only need something that will make my cuts. No one said it has to be pretty, right? ;D

I'm a just bit aggravated at the situation. I know it's something simple that needs tweaked, it always is.

I CAN still use the USB, and deal with random cuts for the time being. Although, there shouldn't be any random cuts straight out of the box. Now, whether or not it's a software issue, or a USB issue, I don't know . All I know, is that I want it fixed. I've spent 5+ hours trying to get it to work.

I guess we get what we pay for. I'm just hoping I don't end up with a $250+ paper weight.

My apologies for my rant. Just letting off some stream/aggravation.

Hopefully tech support will email me at the begining of the week. If not, I'll contact them via phone and see if they can remote in, and try to fix it.

Thanks again for your suggestions/advice. I really appreciate you going out of your way to help me. 

Thank you!

Yak