Sign in to follow this  
rayneman1989

Will Scalp work

Hi...Was given a perfect condition R series II cutter, not keen on the software that was with it, looks like a car without wheels...I have which was also given a commercial version with S/N SCALP 3 and wondering if how much trouble will it be to attempt it....Any insight works for me....Just don't want to spend a lot of time trying to make SCALP work with this cutter and find it wont....Thanks....

I am only seeking this to cut temps to do glass etching....I debated on a cutter versus a Pigment printer to do some special graphics for the etching and back lighting

Well its a picnic to determine(Under VM install) what model when all is visible is VINYLEXPRESS R-Series II and no indentifying numerals other than that as to configing ports

There are several on the forum who have successfully implemented SCALP into their work-flow. I tried it out mostly as a cutting utility (I design in Adobe Illustrator). I wasn't that impressed and moved toward a more proven product SignCut Pro which is almost exclusively a cut only program requiring designs from regular vector based software. In my observance SCALP as a design program was very clunky and lacked some of the finesse of more powerful design programs. My advice to those who are considering it is usually based on what the end goal for your use it. If you are a hobbyist and plan to only ever be a hobbyist then it may well be the program of choice simply because you have it in hand. If you are planning to sprout a business and do commercial/professional work then you probably want to invest a little time and money into a more serious program. Sure cuts a lot proclaims itself a Pro product but it's not even close from my experience.  

Thanks for any of your input...I have gotten the SCALP to work with the R-Series as I am simply wanting it to cut template's for etching...That's all I wanted and hoped for...Onward forward now..Thanks ,,,,,Yall have a good one....

You can always fall back to using Inkscape (free open source vector design program) if you run into any design issues with SCALP and just use SCALP to cut. 

Thank you...I am not in-experienced with vinyl as have owned several US CUTTER products and use CS3, Corel and some 3D apps to make my designs, INKSCAPE was the first piece I used with my LP II and (no offense intended) didn't like it as since I can design most of my cuts all I need was SCALP to TRACE what I have put together...I sold all my equipment  and vinyl back in Jan and I had gave the VE to a friend early 14 knowing he would never use it and got it back from him as I checked pricing for a NEW LP II and I see they went up on it and their shipping so I tried to interface with what I had available on hand..It works and that's all I need ..Now I start building a stock back up....

• Like 1