Sign in to follow this  
slice&dice

Does size matter?

I have noticed several threads which approach the topic of "how small" a detail can the value cutters produce.

The fact of the matter is the MH cutter can cut VERY VERY small (I cut some text today that had a dot over the letter 'i' which was only 1mm in diameter).

However, the real issue is not the miniature dimensions of the cuts -- the actual issue is weeding and how well the finished item will adhere to a surface.

The vinyl we use is pressure-sensitive and when the surface area of the material is so fine, there isn't really enough adhesive exposed to create a good bond.

This is an example of text which the MH can handle, even at extremely miniature scale (say, 1/2")

However, the weeding of those closed loops (in the 'a' 'g'  'w'  'p' and 'u' for instance) would turn me crosseyed,  trying to pick them out.

decorative-small-letters-vector-268153.j

I have done some decals that were about an inch wide. Logo initials but a long word below it like "Fabrication" or similar that were very very small. Sticks well but like you said about the teeny tiny dots above the i and what not that have some issues. Usually good to have a brush on adhesive, and brush a hint onto the back of those to make them stick a little better. Also heat effect them more if they are outside because of how small they are, it is not as spread out and causes them to lose their stick through time so I have seen.

I have tried doing super small stuff as well. Maybe not small in size but detailed work in a smaller size than intended like a unicorn that was drawn and has a lot of small pieces floating from it, made it into a 2" sticker because I had spare space on some brush metal vinyl I was working with and thought I would give it a go. Good practice for sure.

I found a noticeable difference when I upgraded from my P-Cut to the Summa. The difference was that it weeded easier because the cut was more precise with less little tags and hangers in the corners. A good cutting program that will cut the centers of letters before the rest can also increase success. Specifically I speak of SignCut Pro.

I agree that getting something that small to actually adhere is a whole separate issue and is well outside any vinyl manufacturers minimum warranty requirements. 

• Like 1

"A good cutting program that will cut the centers of letters before the rest can also increase success."

That, my friend, is a terrific piece of advice. As it happens, SignBlazerElements does indeed contain such an option, but it never occurred to me to use it when getting tiny. Makes sense, of course, because the vinyl is tight and fresh and those infinitesimal cuts will be better. Thanks for the heads-up !

I learn something valuable here every day.

• Like 3

"A good cutting program that will cut the centers of letters before the rest can also increase success."

That, my friend, is a terrific piece of advice. As it happens, SignBlazerElements does indeed contain such an option, but it never occurred to me to use it when getting tiny. Makes sense, of course, because the vinyl is tight and fresh and those infinitesimal cuts will be better. Thanks for the heads-up !

I learn something valuable here every day.

That was the reason I designed the ball point rectractable mini knife to aid in these specific areas..