The Elvis Legacy

Ghosting images from old vinyl

I have a customer that contacted me after having replaced some vinyl graphics on his business door.  He stated that when there is dew outside that images from the old vinyl show up on the glass.  Does anyone know of a way to get these old images to stop appearing when the windows have dew on them?

Sounds like there is some old glue left on the glass. They should try cleaning the glass with rubbing alchol or a adhesive remover and a razor blade to get all the old glue off.

Thanks for the input, bamafan2277,  but there is definitely no glue there. I used a razor blade and alcohol to clean when I applied the new vinyl.  The images they are seeing are not visible AT ALL unless it is moist with dew outside.

By the way, nice to see a bama fan on here...I live in...A U B U R N myself...lol

Was the glass tinted at all? I've had that where the tint faded less under the old vinyl and had ghosting like that.

• Like 1

By the way, nice to see a bama fan on here...I live in...A U B U R N myself...lol

I'm more of a fan of the music group Alabama than the football team.

• Like 1

My two cents is the wear and tear of exposed glass around old glass ie: water spots , grim etc. A compound then wax should do the trick, if it's not faded tint.

• Like 1

Sometimes the glue from the previous vinyl will fill the tiny pores in the glass and produce this effect in rain or dew. I have used hard water cleaner and a very aggressive Brillo brush to get it to look a little better or use some rain-x to fill in the rest of the area around it. That's basically how rain-x works, fills the pores of the glass. 

Thanks for the input, bamafan2277,  but there is definitely no glue there. I used a razor blade and alcohol to clean when I applied the new vinyl. 

Alcohol won't remove adhesive. Not saying you didn't get it all with the blade but you need some orange peel or other adhesive solvent to actually remove adhesive. At this point with new vinyl on there I won't recommend using any remover around it or you risk loosing what you just put up.