Sign in to follow this  
tgbvinyl

Pricing help on 500 decals

I just got someone asking me for 500 decals, 400 of the decals will be 2 color, Silver + a color, 100 will be all silver. They will be 9 inches wide.  I have NO clue how to price this many decals. I really don't do this many decals at once but I'm up for the challenge.

post-24081-0-41634400-1440555334_thumb.j

nice link Bill

now another plan would be to post it as you want them done on a couple particular facebook groups and get them done for pennies.   you know the ones where people work cheaper than the chinese laborers.   quality might suffer a bit but you get them done with no effort by people "ttrying to get their foot in the door"/      

remember what your time is worth in the end - dooing 10 or doing 500 it takes the same material and same amount of time for each decal so I would be minimal discount.  if they want cheap they get printed

• Like 1

I differ here since on larger orders I go to time and material. Figure out how much material in each decal and how many you can do in an hour. For example lets say $1 material per unit and 10 units per hour production. Now figure what you want to make per hour $40 for my shop so to get $40 an hour I need that 40 plus the 10 for materials for a total of $50 divided by the 10 units = $5 each. These are just sample numbers but the formula will prevent you from gouging or working for free.

500 layered decals would cause me to go cross eyed now days lol.   the group I am thinking of I bet some of them would do it for 1/2 that as they only figure material and time is free
Jay I am curious, as it has been a few years since i did large qty layered, how many would you group together when layering and keep your registration right and how much do you calculate for waste for registration marks.   like 6 at a time or would you do lots more  to save material and time

Ah thanks to an awesome tip about using parchment to line them up I'd do without the registration marks and leave enough space on the side so the top layer had backing to land on. As far as waste I usually mock up a qty. say 10 on the screen and see how much material it will take off the roll instead of figuring each sticker because the each sticker way doesn't accurately account for waste IMO. Just for the record Dakota is right you will go cross eyed before it's done and large jobs tend to end up feeling like an assembly line job at a factory but since this is my job I take it as just another day at work.

• Like 2

Just remember what takes a minute to weed when starting may take 50% longer as the day wears on and your eyes go buggy.

• Like 1

A guy ask me the other day about making decals for their hunting club, about thirty, or so, Told him I didn't know an exact price, but I could guarantee, at least 10 bucks a piece. I don't like doing little decals

A guy ask me the other day about making decals for their hunting club, about thirty, or so, Told him I didn't know an exact price, but I could guarantee, at least 10 bucks a piece. I don't like doing little decals

I find most people are willing to spend a little on something that is unique enough they can't just grab it at the local chevron or walmart. I sell basically what would be considered a bumper sticker for $10 pretty often. Most of mine are custom made to order and they can't get that just anywhere. To tell the truth I give many many of these kinds of things away to regular customers as promo's. I have on on my car that says guns don't kill people, dads with pretty daughters do and I get all kinds of interest from that. 

• Like 1

Well guise, I've decided to keep my sanity. I declined the job although they didn't accept the fact I declined it. I mainly do decals for friends and stuff who dont mind throwing me money. These are for a friend, but 500 is a lot for me to do all by myself with out much experience  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

If you could do those without  the cut out/knock out spots where the red sits within the white and just layered the red right on top of the white then the registration wouldn't be as critical and you could blow through those pretty easy without worry. Try one that way and give it to them to see if they are ok with it and throw a number you are comfortable with. Like Dakota said tell them you will do 20 of them as a dry run and that will let you decide how much to charge and whether it's worth it to both parties.

Or if you really don't want to do it message me  ;D  Always room for 1 more job

• Like 1

Well guise, I've decided to keep my sanity. I declined the job although they didn't accept the fact I declined it. I mainly do decals for friends and stuff who dont mind throwing me money. These are for a friend, but 500 is a lot for me to do all by myself with out much experience  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Just because 'you' have a vinyl cutter, doesn't mean 'you' have to produce everything you sell. No harm in subbing projects out, and no-one has to be any wiser. Nothing better, than getting paid, to open a box.

• Like 5