Sign in to follow this  
routesmith

My first car decal

Well this was a bad first experience, Ill tell you that. I think I know I mixed up the solution wrong, I used 1/4 bottle of windex (hoping the alcohol in it would be sufficient) a little soap and water, ugh. Anybody thinking this is a good idea.... its NOT.. dont do it, it gonna take an hour or so to dry, It was on my wifes car, I dont think its gonna come off, but, sheesh what a fiasco... :)

I did two stripes with outlines

I applied  one stripe wet and one stripe dry till it started to stick together so I ended up wetting it anyways to straighten it out (it works like magic).

Ill get a pic of her car tomorrow, well maybe tonight if she gets home soonish...

dont get me wrong it looks like a million bucks. But what a PIA..

I will definately run up now and get some proper alcohol..(rubbing for the application solution and vodka for my frustration solution!)

chalk one up to experience, and before all that I had a heck of a time cutting the vinyl but Ill leave that for a thread in the Sign Blaster forum as it is a SignBlaster issue...

Happy Cutting..

Wayne

updated... Here is the result, it all dried ok but as you guys said I am expecting the life of it to be shortened.. I still need to trim the bottom.

If anyone needs mini stripes, I would be honoured if you took a copy of mine (would love it you posted pics after too). This will make enough stripes to do the bonnet and the boot of a standard mini. *attached , they will NOT be sufficient for the convertible or the clubman.

post-2294-12986518295039_thumb.jpg

mini-fixed.SBD

post-2294-1298651831407_thumb.jpg

mini-fixed.SBD

Well actually, I'd say you didn't really screw up on doing it wet. You screwed up when you went with the windex. Windex will kill the adhesive on the vinyl. Hopefully, since it was watered down, it won't effect it. However, if the vinyl life is shortened you will know why.

I would recommend a heat gun for getting the fluid to dry faster.

Guest fivestar

I highly recommend using straight water.  I can do it faster with straight water then using any mixture.  Spray vehicle, then spray vinyl after the backing has been removed, place graphic where it needs to be, squeegee down real good, spray transfer tape rub your hand over it vigoriously and walk away for a couple minutes and it will almost fall off itself when it dries.

Stormy, thanks for the advice, I didnt know about the windex issue, chalk that one up to experience too.

fivestar, thanks, Ill try it.

Wayne

Guest fivestar

Wayne don't use anything that has ammonia in it, it will loosen the glue.

Never use chemicals when applying wet. A couple drops of liquid soap per bottle of water is the best mix.

I see the err of my ways now and too much soap is bad too, I did my decal for my car last night on the back window and it never dried, I almost ripped the lettering in the process

Wayne

Guest fivestar

Wayne try straight water, I'm telling you it will dry ALOT faster then with soap in it.  Make sure you spray the transfer tape once you have your graphic positioned and squeegeed, then rub your hand over the tape vigoriously then walk away for a couple minutes and when you go to pull it off it almost falls off itself.

Wayne try straight water, I'm telling you it will dry ALOT faster then with soap in it.  Make sure you spray the transfer tape once you have your graphic positioned and squeegeed, then rub your hand over the tape vigoriously then walk away for a couple minutes and when you go to pull it off it almost falls off itself.

I tried with straight water on one of the mini stripes on the hood and although far better then dry I still had air bubbles no matter how hard I pushed down on the squeegy, but I will try it again and update. I need to get a proper squeegy too, I am using a semi rigid one from home depot, maybe that is my issue..

thanks,

WAyne.

Guest fivestar

Oh lord, you need a straight edge squeegee.  Go to your local auto parts store and grab a bondo spreader, they work for a few times.  You should not get ANY bubbles doing it wet unless you're either not using enough liquid or you are not squeegeeing all the liquid out which when it dries the bubbles will be gone or should be anyways. ;)

well it is straight fivestar, lol, just not an offical squeegy, its wallpaper squeegy i think, but I will take your advice AGAIN and get one, i couldnt think of an alternative and thats what came to mind, but bondo spreader, great idea, I suppose I should have asked but it seemed like a REALLY dumb question, more-so than the ones I usually ask..

Im going to make a decal that says "fivestar" and stick it on my car using your method, lets see how it goes.... ;)

thanks man,

Wayne

Guest fivestar

well it is straight fivestar, lol, just not an offical squeegy, its wallpaper squeegy i think, but I will take your advice AGAIN and get one, i couldnt think of an alternative and thats what came to mind, but bondo spreader, great idea, I suppose I should have asked but it seemed like a REALLY dumb question, more-so than the ones I usually ask..

Im going to make a decal that says "fivestar" and stick it on my car using your method, lets see how it goes.... :thumbsup:

thanks man,

Wayne

:lol:;D ;D They will look awesome.

Do you think it will look awesome because it says fivestar or because I did it your way?? :thumbsup:

hahahaha

:lol:

Wayne

well it will have to be tomorrow or friday, I brought my transfer tape to work to do a few corp logos and forgot it there but my fivestar decall is all ready.....

More to follow...

Wayne

The soap is added for good reason. When done correctly I need only my thumb to apply with no extra drying time. The appliation tape brand and style makes a difference so the answer is not so cut and dry.

The soap is added for good reason. When done correctly I need only my thumb to apply with no extra drying time. The appliation tape brand and style makes a difference so the answer is not so cut and dry.

You are right. In simple terms,it helps to spread the fluid evenly with less beading,better coverage. If plain water works for someone,that's great. But the air pockets are usually caused when there is a dry spot somewhere.

Guest fivestar

They will look good for both reasons... :thumbsup:  As for the soap being added, yes I know that's why the soap is added but for me I can spray it down with water and get no bubbles and it just works better for me. 

Yes straight water is great, but I have used it. Came to find that a couple of drops of dish soap in the water will allow for the vinyl to be moved around a WHOLE lot easier.