coloradokev

Uh-oh! PC630 Display showing blocks- not responsive

Doh!  It happened out of the blue today.  I powered up my PCut and the fan whirred to life but no response from display- all blocks, no reaction from pressing any of the control panel buttons (other than a slight flicker in the character blocks).  Neither of the limiter switches  have been depressed, and I disconnected the PCut from the computer, just in case.  Powered off and back on.  No joy.

So I guess I should take the bottom plate off and check the motherboard connections as indicated in other threads here, yes?

Bummin',

Kev

Hi Tykite- thanks, responses in-line:

quote author=Tykite

Here is what you should do:

1. Make sure that the carriage is in the middle of your machine.

Done.

2. Check and make sure that neither of them are pressed in.  (Be sure, sometimes you think they are fine, but they are stuck in)

Both appear to be at full extension, and have their usual "springiness".

3. Open your cutter, and make sure that the connections to the motherboard are firmly connected.

All seemed to be secure and thermal glued appropriately form the factory.  I went ahead and made sure they were seated however, along with any socketed chips.

4. If none of the above works, try moving to another outlet.

Moved power to another outlet and then another circuit- no change.

5. When all else fails, give us a call at 425-284-2282 and we will see what else we can do.

What are your support hours?

Thanks, keep us informed

Thank you for the quick reply,

Kevin

I had this problem also, I found that if I removed the six small screws holding the lcd down that it would work again.

hat sounds like something was being pinched and shorting out.

I had this problem also, I found that if I removed the six small screws holding the lcd down that it would work again.

Thanks-

Unfortunately I  can't investigate this possibility just now, as I sent my PS to USCutter for replacement.  I have high hopes that the new PS will correct the issue, but we'll see.

Hey-

Update on this downright inconvenient predicament...

I received the replacement power supply yesterday (thanks to Ken & company).

Installed it this morning and the same exact issue remains (see attached pics for exactly what I'm seeing after ps installation).

Where do I go from here?  Should I check for a stry ground at the LCD itself as mentioned previously, or send in the mother bd., or what?

This is truly bummin' me out and hurting business (still new, I'm trying to please the few customers I have and this is dinging my rep badly).

Please advise- thanks,

Kevin

post-2054-12986519489044_thumb.jpg

post-2054-12986519489504_thumb.jpg

post-2054-12986519503464_thumb.jpg

post-2054-12986519503766_thumb.jpg

Are you sure that the carriage isn't moved over against one of the limit switches. That is what was wrong with mine. Just move it out to the middle with your hand. MJ

With the power on you might try pushing the red limit switches... the button may be out but the switch may have stuck

Ken are the limit switches NO or NC ?

With the power on you might try pushing the red limit switches... the button may be out but the switch may have stuck

Ken are the limit switches NO or NC ?

Good question, I am not certain.

Hey-

- The limit switches have never been activated to my knowledge and the cutter head has remained in the middle of the carriage, this whole time/ (thanks mach9)

-  I have tried turning the unit off and re-depressing the limiter switches, and have done this same thing while powered on.  No change in behavior. (thanks Popeye)

So what now Ken?  New MB?  new LCD panel assy?

Should I take the side covers off and see if removing the switches changes behavior?  In which case, do they complete the circuit when out or when in?

Thanks,

Kevin

I would think the switches would be "normally closed", and when they are depressed, they open, breaking the circuit?

Thanks, yeah  - that would be "normal" logic, nut it never hurts to ask...

I don't want to anything that would "squirrel" future support needs on it, so I want to make sure I follow Ken's advice though.

Kev

Hi Tykite, Ken,

I left a voice mail on your support line this AM.  I'm getting frustrated here and need constructive help, not a rehash of steps already taken.  It's been a month now- no resolution, no cutter, no business. 

Please help,

Kevin

Hi Tykite, Ken,

I left a voice mail on your support line this AM.  I'm getting frustrated here and need constructive help, not a rehash of steps already taken.  It's been a month now- no resolution, no cutter, no business. 

Please help,

Kevin

I think we spoke yesterday and offered an RMA #.

Hi Ken-

I don't recall speaking with anyone but you about this since April- musta been someone else.  I know you're running as fast as you can, you've lots of folks to work with out here.

If you think a return is in order, then please, let's  move forward with it.  Let me know the "how and where" logistics, when issuing the RMA # too.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Thanks, yeah  - that would be "normal" logic, nut it never hurts to ask...

I don't want to anything that would "squirrel" future support needs on it, so I want to make sure I follow Ken's advice though.

Kev

Have you opened the unit to check all the connections to the motherboard? Some have checked the connections, and pressed down on each even if they looked secure, and then fired it back up to find it working properly. It will not affect warranty by opening the unit.

Hey Ken-

Ok, I'm finally back in Erie, and per our conversation, I have pulled the mother board and it is on its way to you.  Please replace it with a confirmed working motherboard if you will.

I trust your folks can turn it around more quick;y this time.  I am looking forward to getting the cutter going again as soon as possible.

Thanks for the help,

Kevin

My lcd screen was doing this as long as I have owned it, some times it would work and some times it would not. I found by removing all the screws to the lcd panel and only using the outer screws lightly tightened it would work.

I took all screws out and it worked every time, put them back in and it would not work most of the time. So I think the screws are either shorting something out inside the plastic housing, who knows....

My plotter has worked for a year now by removing the middle screws, I dare not touch it.

We came to an understanding, it leaves me alone and I leave it alone. :thumbsup:

Hey Ken,

Just got my new mother board,  thanks.  I have a question though...

Before I disconnected the board, I took a picture of it so I could be sure to get it reconnected properly when the new one arrived.  Unfortunately, the to cables shown disconnected along the bottom edge of the board as seen in the attached picture, (or left edge of board as installed on base plate of cutter) didn't appear in my orig. picture.

One is labeled X and the other Y, which connector on the MB does each go in?

I have my fingers crossed, hoping you can get back with me today and that the thing will finally work.

Thanks again,

Kevin

post-2054-12986520871126_thumb.jpg

post-2054-12986520884226_thumb.jpg

Looking at the picture: X in the left plug, Y in the middle plug. Right plug not used.

:lol:

No change in behavior from my first report to you of this problem:  Display remains all faint solid character blocks.

How soon can I get a new, complete, working cutter?  I have the stand already.

Kevin