MarinaD

Cutting issue

I Have SC plotter and when it cuts designs it goes twice over all the lines. I don't know if it is supposed to be like that or not? But when blade goes the second time it kind of pulls tiny pieces of vinyl out along the lines (looks like small threads). I don't know why it does that and how to fix the issue because tracking is fine. it takes a lot of my time when I try to pull all of those tiny things out the decal. Would be happy to have any help.

Sounds like you have an outline stroke around what you are trying to cut

and your cutter is cutting the outline too...both sides of it.  That's

why you have the thin "threads".

If you view your design in wire-frame mode you will see all the

paths that will be cut.

You want your cutter to cut the "FILL" only not the stroke/outlines.

You have to eliminate the strokes completely otherwise your 

cutter will continue to cut both sides of the stroke/outlilne.

OR, you can choose a second color for all the strokes and just

instruct the cutter to cut the main color.

Sue2 

Attach your file and we will have a look at it.

Sue2

They are tiny and go all over designs. And I know that it's happening when the blade goes the second time over the lines cause I can see it when it's cutting.I wonder if there is a way to set it up so it would go over all the line just once... 

post-94099-0-93970800-1440349700_thumb.j

post-94099-0-07871200-1440349835_thumb.j

post-94099-0-12694000-1440349841_thumb.j

post your "cutting file", so someone can look at it.

here is one of them. I have the same problem with all of my designs...

9.svg

where are you getting your cutting files? Ungroup, select and delete them. I notice that ai does that. It makes white another layer.

You might be able to circumvent this by making sure you are only cutting the black in your cut by color options. The duplicate images are often created in some programs (Adobe Illustrator for example) if an auto trace or some types of object merging happens. What is really going on is that the open spots are actually separate objects that just don't have any fill or perhaps have white fill which may be hard to detect. If you have AI I can tell you how to find and remove them but if you are using something else it will be different. 

If you were putting this Shepherd's head on a colored shirt and wanted

the white parts to actually be white (and not the color of the shirt)

you would use that duplicate layer/piece to cut the white layer.

Sue2

Thank you so much everyone! We get those images at different places and then work on them in adobe illustrator. 

You might be able to circumvent this by making sure you are only cutting the black in your cut by color options. The duplicate images are often created in some programs (Adobe Illustrator for example) if an auto trace or some types of object merging happens. What is really going on is that the open spots are actually separate objects that just don't have any fill or perhaps have white fill which may be hard to detect. If you have AI I can tell you how to find and remove them but if you are using something else it will be different. 

We use AI so it would be wonderful if you help me with it

• Like 1

Most times when this happens in AI it's from using the "merge" function which keeps all the open spaces as objects. Try using the "Unite" function instead.

When doing a live trace see if there is an option to "Ignore White" this will render a compound path without filling in the empty spaces. (some of the older versions did not have this as an option)

If you have existing files you want to check I suggest looking over in the Layers and you should see within the stack objects that are there but have either white in the thumbnail preview or just an outline. Select one of these by using the little button on the right side in that layer stack and verify that it is in fact supposed to be an open hole. If it is, then use Select>Same>Fill color and AI will select them all on the current file unless they are locked. Then just delete them and make sure your file still looks correct. 

post-20133-0-64621700-1440359194_thumb.p

• Like 2

Most times when this happens in AI it's from using the "merge" function which keeps all the open spaces as objects. Try using the "Unite" function instead.

When doing a live trace see if there is an option to "Ignore White" this will render a compound path without filling in the empty spaces. (some of the older versions did not have this as an option)

If you have existing files you want to check I suggest looking over in the Layers and you should see within the stack objects that are there but have either white in the thumbnail preview or just an outline. Select one of these by using the little button on the right side in that layer stack and verify that it is in fact supposed to be an open hole. If it is, then use Select>Same>Fill color and AI will select them all on the current file unless they are locked. Then just delete them and make sure your file still looks correct. 

Thank you so much for this information! Priceless! All this time i thought that problem was in my machine... but it's going to be much easier to figure out how to fix it with your explanation.

• Like 1

That's what this group excels at, helping people understand what is going on so next time they can problem solve and figure it out. In some other groups they might just say here is your fixed file with no explanation. Great group here

• Like 5

Thanks Wildgoose!  I saved this thread, and just used it. In my version,  Ignore White is in the Image Trace window- Advanced.

This was a png I edited in Photoshop. Now to edit the nodes.

CS6%20Screenshot.jpg

post-4012-0-23635600-1451542159_thumb.jp

• Like 1