fawnap

Need Sign Ideas for mall store!! (pic included)

Could ya'll help me brainstorm some ideas for what would look nice at the top here? I was originally requested to make a white banner with black lettering, or vice versa, but then at the end they told me I could basically do whatever I wanted, just so it would look nice. If I did get a banner it would be 33" tall x 8, 10 or 12'. 

I don't have the ability to print, so I'm limited to using vinyl, paint and whatever else I can think of. I feel like a vinyl banner might look kind of tacky, the store is a country/rustic primitive craft store and I want the sign to go along with it. The previous store's sign kind of ruined the wall, it's hard to tell in the pic but the drywall is all textured where each hole was previously drilled to hold the sign. Unfortunately it's too much to use just straight up wall vinyl, what I was initially hoping for. 

I don't usually make signs, so I'm not sure what other alternatives there are to vinyl banners. I'm handy with wood, but want to avoid making something too heavy. Any ideas or advice here is much appreciated! Budget isn't a concern, I just want to make something I'm capable of and make it look awesome! Thanks in advance. 

post-93385-0-88320400-1439906646_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nope :/ They have the same color scheme going throughout the whole mall, evidently they never felt the need to change it since it was built since I'm guessing the 70's or 80's  :mellow:  

QUOTE> "country/rustic primitive craft store"

Does the Establishment have a name yet?

Its disgusting !!! lol    I'm pretty new as well but am thinking if the drywall is that bad. Get a piece of sign substrate  plastic, aluminum  and go with a brown back ground  with contrasting letter colors layered and maybe some western symbols.

They said  the store is a country/rustic primitive craft store, but yes a name and more info would help! :ph34r:

• Like 1

You could outsource to several forum members to print a banner for you. That would give the most bang for your buck and being able to include images and so many colors it is well worth the money.

QUOTE> "country/rustic primitive craft store"

Does the Establishment have a name yet?

The Butt Ugly Sign Frame Craft Store!

I can print you one on removable Phototex, That's about all the suggestions I can come up with, other than vinyl lettering? Agree with the banner's gonna look kinda tacky.

Could ya'll help me brainstorm some ideas for what would look nice at the top here? I was originally requested to make a white banner with black lettering, or vice versa, but then at the end they told me I could basically do whatever I wanted, just so it would look nice. If I did get a banner it would be 33" tall x 8, 10 or 12'. 

I don't have the ability to print, so I'm limited to using vinyl, paint and whatever else I can think of. I feel like a vinyl banner might look kind of tacky, the store is a country/rustic primitive craft store and I want the sign to go along with it. The previous store's sign kind of ruined the wall, it's hard to tell in the pic but the drywall is all textured where each hole was previously drilled to hold the sign. Unfortunately it's too much to use just straight up wall vinyl, what I was initially hoping for. 

I don't usually make signs, so I'm not sure what other alternatives there are to vinyl banners. I'm handy with wood, but want to avoid making something too heavy. Any ideas or advice here is much appreciated! Budget isn't a concern, I just want to make something I'm capable of and make it look awesome! Thanks in advance. 

I would cut a piece of Diabond or equivalent to fit in there (I use E-Panel around here as it is similar and a little cheaper) This stuff is a composite material with a baked finish that makes a great sign and half the weight of aluminum. Either snug or make it with rounded corners so it's obvious as a sign. You could stick it up there with VHB tape and not have any holes showing. Diabond will give you a nice flat smooth surface to add your vinyl to. You can cut and router it with regular wood blades. 

Just remember that most times the mall with want to approve any signage before they allow it to be installed and they almost always want proof of insurance.

Depends on the look you're going for, and ultimately what the mall will approve.  Heres a couple mockups I was able to draw up.

When I think country, beadboard is one thing that comes to mind.  And when I think rustic, rough sawn wood comes to mind.  Pallets are a good cheap source for this if you're willing to spend some time tearing a few apart.

For the actual sign portion, you could use some cabinet grade ply and paint it for a base surface to work with. There's lots of options for the lettering.  You could cut them from vinyl, paint them on, or even cut them from wood or acrylic sheet to add some dimension.

post-94061-0-75019700-1439955646_thumb.j

• Like 2