Sign in to follow this  
SurberSigns

What would you charge to install letters on vehicles?

I recently completed a job for a local business owner for his work van, car and pick up truck. He only needed me to cut the vinyl and he would install, three days later hes asking for a price for installation.

Its basically just his logo, phone #, few additional words for the back glass and side windows of each vehicle.

What kind of price should I give him to install? Not to mention he wants me to come to him to install.... and he seems cheap.

It doesn't sound like you are experienced so it will take you considerably longer than someone who is. I would pick a number to use as a minimim like $50 and tell him you work by the hour or just take a stab at it and say $75 and hope you can get it done without trouble. If he's cheap and has an issue with your price just tell him that your number factors in the possibility of messing up in which case YOU are out the rebuild whereas if HE messes the install up HE will have to pony up for new vinyl. That usually shuts them up. 

Iv been installing lettering for a while but I usually just give them a number, but thinking lately I end up screwing my self.. I think he needs just the car and truck done today, so Im going to tell him $75-100 installed.

Also, my last question is this..

Chevy truck needs the following lettering done:

"Business Name" on both sides 12FT long x 11 inches Tall. (x2)

"phone #" on both sides 120inches long x 6 inches tall (x2)

Front hood business name 43 inches x 4 inches (x1)

To just cut it, does $275 sound fair? Taped and all? I did the meaurements X $7/foot and it came out to $350.... but that sounds kind of high for just cutting it.

Every area is a little different. My area I couldn't get $275 out of that. If that is all single color it would be about that much installed. 

He agreed with $300 installed.. sweet.

Yep, that's a decent pricing.

And it illustrates perfectly why owning a vinyl cutter and knowing how to apply vinyl is such a good business model for so many of us.

The money is good I love it.. Sometimes when I have trouble with installs, I get frustrated but when I see nice pay days like Iv had here lately it gives me motivation to keep pushing..  Also, the same guy wants me to quote him to re do his name for the front shop, the sign above his store and the sign out by the road... what would you guys charge for this?

He basically wants everything BIGGER, but without the diamonds so that the name can be bigger. Just his name on the road sign stretched out on both sides, his name as big as it can go on the front store window and same for the above sign... I got these measurements:

The sign above the shop measures 7FT across by 18 inches high.

The road sign is 47 inches across by 20 inches high...

And he wants them installed and current vinyl stripped off.

I was thinking about charging $175 for everything. Strip off current lettering and install included.... Is this too low or about right?

http://i60.tinypic.com/2qs8d1w.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2mo8qph.jpg

The money is good I love it.. Sometimes when I have trouble with installs, I get frustrated but when I see nice pay days like Iv had here lately it gives me motivation to keep pushing..  Also, the same guy wants me to quote him to re do his name for the front shop, the sign above his store and the sign out by the road... what would you guys charge for this?

He basically wants everything BIGGER, but without the diamonds so that the name can be bigger. Just his name on the road sign stretched out on both sides, his name as big as it can go on the front store window and same for the above sign... I got these measurements:

The sign above the shop measures 7FT across by 18 inches high.

The road sign is 47 inches across by 20 inches high...

And he wants them installed and current vinyl stripped off.

I was thinking about charging $175 for everything. Strip off current lettering and install included.... Is this too low or about right?

http://i60.tinypic.com/2qs8d1w.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2mo8qph.jpg

Always charge for removal separately and by the hour or you will end up screwing yourself more often than not! 

Never though about that honestly. But I noticed the current design he has on his store now are all one piece... Instead of separate letters, its all apart of one clear piece of sticker so its just one peal and bam.

Other than the removing old vinyl, is $180 sound reasonable?

Yep it's two sided. He only wants the name which is diamond floors. He requested to take out the words flooring and cleaning below. So just two words on each side now

Yeah sometimes removal can tae for ever or would be cheaper to replace the substrate. Most here Charge 45 to 60 for removal !

Never though about that honestly. But I noticed the current design he has on his store now are all one piece... Instead of separate letters, its all apart of one clear piece of sticker so its just one peal and bam.

IF it happens to be new enough to pull up good. Get a few removals under your belt and you may find yourself in the same state of mind that most of us are.... oh the heck with this crap... kind of sentiment. I had one of those large graphics pull right off and the next one came in itty bitty pieces. I ended up spending a fortune on several cans of aircraft vinyl remover which helped but it still kicked my butt and I had to use a razor to scrape it up. That one was on a trailer so there was no possibility of swapping out substrates. I do like mentioned above and go by the hour plus materials and make them sign a waiver of release of all liability for any damages. Several have tried to remove their own and end up happy to pay me to finish it. LOL

• Like 1