Sign in to follow this  
FishBone

100% polyester "StayDry" polo

A customer brought me 4 polos to add a logo on the chest.  I've never pressed on anything like this material before.  The tag says 100% polyester.  The thing that has me worried is the tag says "cool iron only"   Will there be a problem when I apply the HTV to the polo?   I plan to use Siser Easyweed.  TIA

I would check my heat press for accuracy first.

From Siser website:  https://www.siserna.com/easyweed

Applies to:  100% cotton  •  100% uncoated polyester  •  Poly/cotton blends  •  Leather

Time: 10-15 Seconds  •  Temperature: 305° F / 150° C  •  Pressure: Medium  •  Peel: HOT or COLD

Regular Ironing temperatures from a household webpage:

While all irons differ in temperature by manufacturer, here is a basic

guideline of proper temperatures for hand ironing different fabrics:

• Linen: 230 °C (445 °F)
  • Triacetate: 200 °C (390 °F)
  • Cotton: 204 °C (400 °F)
  • Viscose/Rayon: 190 °C (375 °F)
  • Wool: 148 °C (300 °F)
  • Polyester: 148 °C (300 °F)
  • Silk: 148 °C (300 °F)
  • Acetate: 143 °C (290 °F)
  • Acrylic: 135 °C (275 °F)
  • Lycra/Spandex: 135 °C (275 °F)
  • Nylon: 135 °C (275 °F)
  • Like 1

I think you will be fine too. Polyester is tough stuff. I always put a disclaimer on customer supplied garments that if something goes awry they take the risk. In other words by supplying a shirt to you they have removed the ability for you to make any profit on the shirt itself and thereby also removed any way for you to shield yourself from something getting messed up. I have never had anyone even blink when I explain it and I have only made 1 mess and those people paid me to run down to walmart and get a replacement to complete the order.

I don't like people supplying their own shirts either, for all of the above reasons.   It's for someone I know who I also do some work for, so I took the "job" on. There usually isn't an issue until I saw the polos, that when I got nervous.   I'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best.  I'll be back to let you know the results.   Thanks for the help

If you can avoid pressing were the buttons are you will be better off....Not sure what size logo you are talking about....When I do just a left chest logo I slide the bulk of the garment of the side of the press so the thickness of the material where the buttons are don't interfere with anything.....

I don't like people supplying their own shirts either, for all of the above reasons.   It's for someone I know who I also do some work for, so I took the "job" on. There usually isn't an issue until I saw the polos, that when I got nervous.   I'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best.  I'll be back to let you know the results.   Thanks for the help

I recently did a polo shirt for someone that was 100% and the design was such that I was able to sublimate it (black onto a light blue shirt). They were totally surprised and it turned out fantastic. That's a rare thing to have work out though. 

I recently did a polo shirt for someone that was 100% and the design was such that I was able to sublimate it (black onto a light blue shirt). They were totally surprised and it turned out fantastic. That's a rare thing to have work out though. 

If they have the option of Sublimation we don't know for sure though do we? Seriously I don't know.