Sign in to follow this  
Dawn's Design

Another Forum

I've went and joined another forum for pen turners. Its a new hobby that I've pick up and its great. As soon as I get some photos of my pens ill past them on here so you can see what I'm doing. Its a great hobby...

JP

• Like 2

I won't be able to look (afraid)  I have run out of time for anymore hobbies I have too many now  ;D   But good luck 

• Like 2

Seeing as you started this topic at 2:30 am, it must be an addicting hobby ;D

My son and I have turned many a pen.  It can, in fact, be quite addictive.

Cal

picture or model number?  (don't ask that..... you DON'T need another piece of equipment or another hobby)

I bought one from harbor freigfreight....

which size? I started out with the mini....moved up to the midi a month later...now up to the big one. And looking at a bigger one from Grizzley. I was intending to do pens but once I turned my first bowl I was hooked.

post-242-0-66602400-1438229751_thumb.png

post-242-0-92027500-1438229766_thumb.png

• Like 8

picture or model number?  (don't ask that..... you DON'T need another piece of equipment or another hobby)

wood turning can be VERY addicting. I am serious.

• Like 1

I've got the mini. It will be all I need for pens. I saw a jet 12x14 and a 8 piece set of tools on cl the other day for 300$. I started to get it but decided I need to make sure I was addicted first.

ok... watched a few video's..... dang it

any info on where to get the best deals on pen stuff?  Blanks, parts, kits etc?  (again... dang it)

When you said the "mini" lathe.... did you mean the $125 dollar bench top one or the $530 dollar "precision" one?

dang it dang it dang it.... don't do it...... walk away.... walk away quickly....

• Like 1

I got the 125$ with 20% off coupon made it 99$.

I use www.woodturningz.com

They have great pens and pen blanks

• Like 1

the precision lathe is for metal turning like in a machine shop. The mini bench top will get you started then move up to a better one if you find you love it.

Oh, to the OP...That's a great deal on the Jet....Jet is a great lathe

• Like 1

ok... watched a few video's..... dang it

any info on where to get the best deals on pen stuff?  Blanks, parts, kits etc?  (again... dang it)

When you said the "mini" lathe.... did you mean the $125 dollar bench top one or the $530 dollar "precision" one?

dang it dang it dang it.... don't do it...... walk away.... walk away quickly....

That's how this forum got me to buy a Laser cutter..........  I watched 1 video.

Within a week I purchased my laser.

Woodcraft had I large selection of pen parts

• Like 1

penstateindustries.com has lots of pen parts. It's several places. Lots that I don't know about.

I do a lot of business with penn state. I bought a multi-bit carbide cutting set with handle and it's all I use now.

Damn it why did I have to open this back up I really didnt know what she was talking about ... S$#@

And John you just feed the fire !!

• Like 1

My wife has been trying for years to get me to close in our back porch to make a mud room out of. When I told her where I was doing my wood working she went nuts.

You guys are enablers. I did a lot of candle holders, goblets, decorative cannons, mini baseball bats and more when I was in school. This was using metal of course. How does working with wood compare? I imagine the inconsistent grain and imperfections in wood could complicate things.

You guys are enablers. I did a lot of candle holders, goblets, decorative cannons, mini baseball bats and more when I was in school. This was using metal of course. How does working with wood compare? I imagine the inconsistent grain and imperfections in wood could complicate things.

uh-oh.....another unsuspecting victim......

:lol:

• Like 1