KMoya

HOW DO I UNWELD SOMETHING

Hello Everyone! 

I created a design with angel wings and I made one decal. I thought it would weld a certain part of the wings but it welded the whole thing and I want to unweld it. Especially since I have orders for the one I made originally. HOW DO I UNWELD???

The welding process eliminates nodes and you'll have to replace the ones you got rid of.

Select your object, then go to "edit nodes" and right-click to obtain the choice for breaking apart the (welded) lines and adding new nodes as needed.

If you have never done node editing before, I suggest you work on a COPY of your design (always make a copy of an original before doing drastic changes on any project).

Yup...always work on a COPY!

If you have saved over your original graphics file, 

the only way I know of in most programs to "unweld"

is to manually go in, add nodes and take it apart.

Sue2

• Like 1

Make a copy. Double click on the design. This will bring you into node editing mode. Left click on a node, then right click, select "Break". You can do that where ever you need to, or add nodes as needed.

Inkscape has an option, Break Apart. I forget what it's called in SignBlazer but there is something similar to it. It will probably break apart more then you really want but it can be handy.

In Flexi, you can right click and chose undo weld.

I don't think any program will undo after a save. I think this file has been saved and re-opened. Sue nailed it. I always work on a copy of set aside a copy before moving on with complicated work. Sometimes I re-save the whole file to a totally new working version and keep the original stuff virgin. It is a learning curve where you sometimes have to burn your hand before the whole fire is hot thing stays with you. Consider yourself burned KMoya. We have all done it. Hopefully you still have access to the original file you started with. Breaking down a weld can be a real time killer. (Can be done as noted above)

We've all learned the hard way!

It's a memory thing..... right up there with MIRROR!!!

LOL

:huh:

• Like 2

Impressed as well. What I started doing in vinylmaster was just saving before doing somethinges I may want to undo later. Vm creates a backup everytime you click save and those backups have saved my bacon a few times.

My master file for each design can have dozens of the same design with just small changes as I progress with the design. I also backup my files to online storage at various points with file name variance. I also do regular DVD backups as well.

I then export only the finished design as an eps and store it in my ready to cut folder.

• Like 1

Impressed as well. What I started doing in vinylmaster was just saving before doing somethings I may want to undo later. Vm creates a backup everytime you click save and those backups have saved my bacon a few times.

Back-up files protect against more than just computer crashes.

I have gone to my desktop or cloud back-up files many times to retrieve 

graphics or lettering that I accidentally saved over my original files...

undo, undo, undo, undo doesn't always work.

BUT, you have to realize you did this to fix it.  

If you discover it several days or months later, it may be too late.

My Seagate desktop back-up does save consecutive back-ups...

A, B, C...but eventually the original file it will be gone.

I do try to make any major changes on an additional page or

save to a new file before beginning.....but sometimes I don't think

about it and it just happens, especially with PROOFS and

converting lettering to curves then forgetting to convert back

That's where your daily auto back-ups will save you.

Sue2

Back-up files protect against more than just computer crashes.

I have gone to my desktop or cloud back-up files many times to retrieve 

graphics or lettering that I accidentally saved over my original files...

undo, undo, undo, undo doesn't always work.

BUT, you have to realize you did this to fix it.  

If you discover it several days or months later, it may be too late.

My Seagate desktop back-up does save consecutive back-ups...

A, B, C...but eventually the original file it will be gone.

I do try to make any major changes on an additional page or

save to a new file before beginning.....but sometimes I don't think

about it and it just happens, especially with PROOFS and

converting lettering to curves then forgetting to convert back

That's where your daily auto back-ups will save you.

Sue2

Unlike my backup drive these files don't go anywhere unless erased. They don't show in the listings unless I got to open backups through the program but they have definitely saved my bacon a few times. My Toshiba HD overwrites itself once full so yeah anything too old on there would be gone.

My master file for each design can have dozens of the same design with just small changes as I progress with the design. I also backup my files to online storage at various points with file name variance. I also do regular DVD backups as well.

I then export only the finished design as an eps and store it in my ready to cut folder.

Beware of dvd back-ups. Those things degrade much faster than you think they would. I have a large SSD portable HD that I pull everything off to fairly regularly. 

Major + for vinyl master.    Each time you save it converts the old file to a red file icon and creates a new file that's blue.

That way you always have an older revision of the file.  

• Like 2