fawnap

Need Advice on wood sign making

I need to make some wooden signs with wording that are multi-colored (background color and 1-2 wording colors), and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this with also trying to keep in mind what the customer would want the most. When I woke up this morning my original plan was to buy a router (to route wood edges) then just stencil with vinyl and paint the signs, but my router searches brought me upon cnc routers and now I'm tempted to buy one of those. In the past I also thought about buying a dtg solvent printer for this type of project, so now I don't know what to do. I plan on/hope to have all of these types of machines someday, but for right now I can only get 1 so trying to figure out what would suit my needs best at the moment.

The benefit to making the signs with a cnc router would be that the wording would be permanent. Disadvantage, dust, painting, and cost

Benefit to using vinyl is that it's the lowest cost, and aside from painting the wood, no painting. I like that the vinyl would have a crisp edge. I don't like though that it's not a permanent thing that can eventually peel off.

Using vinyl as a stencil would also be economical, but I can never seem to get crisp edges when doing this on wood. I'm a perfectionist and like things to be near perfect, so not sure this is a feasible option for me.

Then lastly, a dtg solvent printer. This would be the most expensive option, but I think I would get carried away (in a good way) on printing on things and have the most fun with this machine. I'd be unlimited as far as colors go. No painting, vinyl weeding, etc. involved. A couple coats of shellac or something on top when it's finished and I have an almost permanent solution.

Thoughts? Any advice on what you guys currently do and how you make it easy is much appreciated! 

Still will need a router and cost of painting BUT another option would be to use High Density Urethane. Not sure what the cost difference between that and wood is but it's really easy to work with, lightweight, and looks as good (if not identical) to a painted wooden sign. 

Still will need a router and cost of painting BUT another option would be to use High Density Urethane. Not sure what the cost difference between that and wood is but it's really easy to work with, lightweight, and looks as good (if not identical) to a painted wooden sign. 

Thanks...just what I needed...MORE options...LOL. Just kidding. Didn't even know that stuff existed so hey, I learned something new today. Looks neat

I worked in a sign shop right out of college and we had a large CNC we cut it on. Definitely an advantage over wood in the case that even a pretty large sign can initially be hung by 1 person. Again not sure about price compared to wood but we very rarely used wood unless we were building a free standing sign that needed support...if we didn't build out of aluminum that is. 

In regard to getting crisp lines when painting. Try painting the edges with the same base color, let it dry, then paint the actual color you want. This way the base color seals the edge of the vinyl and prevents the actual color from bleeding under the vinyl. Although if you want the main portion of the sign wood and unpainted this would not work, although you might be able to use a clear coat to seal the edges of the vinyl prior to painting the letters.

• Like 1

In regard to getting crisp lines when painting. Try painting the edges with the same base color, let it dry, then paint the actual color you want. This way the base color seals the edge of the vinyl and prevents the actual color from bleeding under the vinyl. Although if you want the main portion of the sign wood and unpainted this would not work, although you might be able to use a clear coat to seal the edges of the vinyl prior to painting the letters.

That's a good tip right there mister! I rarely paint anything if I can avoid it but when I do I usually fight bleeding and that just might make my life easier some day (if I can remember it when the time comes). 

That's a good tip right there mister! I rarely paint anything if I can avoid it but when I do I usually fight bleeding and that just might make my life easier some day (if I can remember it when the time comes). 

I have notebooks I write in when I read a tip on here I write it down, or copy and past to word lol

I have notebooks I write in when I read a tip on here I write it down, or copy and past to word lol

I'd just misplace the notebook 

• Like 6