Sign in to follow this  
tooler82

Crooked Trace

DPW, Department of Public Works, has told me they need 200 decals with their logo on them. The picture they sent me it's square. It's easy to trace, but with it not being square, it looks like crap. I can't get it squared up either. Anybody run into this before?

post-80805-0-09847200-1437505807_thumb.p

Are you trying to trace the photo square? I use Illustrator and you can outline it all and then flatten the bottom line which will make everything straight, or you just crop rotate the image until it is the same. Hope I understood correctly. Sorry if not.

Also, even though I dont have one, I would recommend using a scanner to replicate it as it will be a flat image instead of a perspective image to trace. Much easier to work with.

I tried rotating it around. When I got the top straight, the bottom wasn't.

I would draw the left half with your shape tool and mirror it. You can then add the door.

• Like 4

I would do exactly what KYSIGN I think you will be happier and find its less time. I'm surprised they don't have a digital copy of the artwork.

• Like 2

I distorted it a little to get it closer to square. I would still draw it out properly but this might make that easier. 

post-20133-0-82991400-1437516136_thumb.p

I tried rotating it around. When I got the top straight, the bottom wasn't.

Its because of the perspective of your image. Unless your camera was perfectly centers and perfectly tilted, you wont get it perfect. That is where the scanner is far better.

But I would do what Kysign stated. Though it seems easy enough to replicate by scratch.

Tyler. I am home and bored tonight so I did one too. Skarekrow beat me too it. My EPS is too big to load. You have any friends tonight evidently!

Castle DPW.svg

• Like 2

I was going to try it out today when I got into work. Thanks both of you.

What I was going to try today was auto trace it then node edit each line straight. I didn't know if that's the way people do it, or if there was a different way.

There are probably half a dozen ways to do it and they are all fine. I just drew a bunch of boxes and welded them together to get the main shape and keep it square then I put all the windows, lines and the cut-outs in the top and punched them out of the main shape. I did draw half and mirror the other half but I use a special AI plug-in that makes that a snap. 

• Like 1

I wish Adobe didn't change to subscription. The government only does 1 time purchase, and won't get it for me.

Yup... Adobe (like so many other corporations) seem to be using the 'Greed-Prioritized Business Model'.

• Like 2

Is there another powerful editor like Corel or Adobe that is one time purchase?

I thought Corel could still be purchased but I haven't checked in quite a while.

You can still get CorelDraw Suites X4 - X7 downloads for a reasonable price.

Any of them will work for the basics plus.

If you have a student at home the "Education Editions" are a steal.

Check the big auction site.

Sue2

Tyler I thought you had the full on FlexiSign Pro. That should be everything you ever wanted in a program and then some. 

• Like 1

Yeah but there's no filters and stuff like Adobe has. I want more capabilities I guess.

Huh, I always thought Flexi was the most capable for signs that was out there being specifically designed for it. You can buy CS6 still and it's pretty capable. I'm still running CS5 and did an upgrade to Yosemite on my mac in order to install some of the latest plug-ins.  I'd like the CC version if they would make it available without subscription but that's never going to happen. I may break down some day and get it but my plan is to get by as long as possible. So far I only rarely find a file that is not compatible and those few are usually coming from someone who will down-save it for me.  When I first bought CS5 I was the one with the newest program and having a few issues sending my stuff to people because they didn't have the newest at the time so I got in the habit of sending files in older formats anyway and maybe most do the same. 

• Like 1

I didn't realize until not long ago there must be different versions of .eps. The Pentagon sends me .eps files that my FlexiSign won't open. Thank goodness for this forum and the people on here that convert it to a different .eps for me.

• Like 1