dtdm

Graphtec FC8600 Contour Cut Alignment Issues

Hello, Recently picked up a new FC8600 and have been having issues with the alignment on contour cuts.

Set up according to graphtec videos, I am cutting from AI > cutting master 3.

4 point registration.

Lets say I have 2 rows of 6 rectangles to cut.

It cuts the first 2-3 in each row perfect, then as it gets down the line it becomes more and more off.

It tends to happen on multiple different printed shapes...

As a test I just created a print that has a row of rectangles and two cut lines around that rectangle, 1 being right on the edge, the next .25" outside of that one.

I sent the first rectangle cut on it's own, it was off after the first two rectangles.

The second rectangle cut was then sent, and was dead on where it should be.

So that leads me to believe that something is happening while scanning the registration marks, however it scanned the registration marks excatly the same both times, with no problems.

Any input would greatly help out as this is driving me insane.

Hello,

So you are going to have to calibrate the ARMS sensor most likely- see manual. Also check the manual for paper weight, and test with both On and OFF.

(I would post the CALIBRATION sheet that I used for an FC7000, but cant find it-- contact Graphtec support in CA they have it ready to print. Also I found better success with TYPE 2 Marks. 

I found the calibration sheet.  PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

Hello,

I actually have the calibration sheet, but thank you for your time in looking.

I just don't understand how it cuts fine one print, then the next one is screwed up.

Printed a ton of identical prints to get testing here tonight.

I printed out the ARMS sensor adjustment sheet, however I can't get the cutter to read the registration marks to save my live.

Did a sensor level adjustment. Not helping.

I went back to printed vinyl testing.

I am now leaning in the direction of software errors. It seems to be scanning the registraiton marks just fine... however when it cuts, it's way off.

I've gone through the ARMS calibration using a higher quality paper to get the registration marks to read.

Adjuested the x & w offset based on those plotted pen marks, they werent off much at all.

Went through where it plots its own registration mark, then reads it and plots again... got that dead on.

Went to cut printed vinyl... Still off by a ton.

I have now tried to cut both with flexi and cut master 3... I seem to be getting the same results.

I just don't understand what is going on.

It seems to be reading the registration marks just fine.

Media is loaded straight.

1. Make sure you are using compatible registration marks

2. Make sure you load your media as straight as possible.

3. Make sure you are using the correct orientation when sending cut lines.

Does the registration process stop/fail at any of the registration marks?

Hello,

1) Everything matches up as far as registration marks on software, print and cutter.

2) Yes, loading based on registration marks lining up to straight edge of cutter.

3) Check.

I've gotten a bit further in this journey.

I kept throwing error  E04012 : Exceed cutting area during -x detection.

So I decided to turn the whole print 90 degrees and rotate it in cutting master 3 it reads registration marks perfect nearly every time, contour cutting is almost perfect, along with perf cut. It's still a bit off randomly.

This "temp solution" however won't work in all scenarios.

The solution in the manual doesn't lend much other than "exceeded detection area while detecting the registration mark. Solution: chekc the media. check the print postion of the registration mark.

Also I printed with the H segment type 2 registration marks to try to better adjust cutting... My Cutting Master 3 locks the rotation at 90degrees and never reads the registration marks correctly.

I figured there would be a learning curve with new pieces of equipment... but this being my 7th cutter I could not have ever imagined these headaches.

• Like 1

A few thoughts:

1. make sure there is plenty of media outside the registration marks- I mean 3 to 4  inches front to back, a little less left to right of each mark. The X axis has media sensor on the back of the machine. Also be sure there is plenty of room between your reg marks and the rollers. If the rollers are too close- it wont want to p.u.

2. what type of printer are your using? there may be a possibility that thew media is being distorted thru the printing process, esp if heat is involved, and the material distorts.

3. what type of tolerances are you allowing for the contour cut? +/- a few mm should be acceptable for a medium large print. Also if you are trying to cut exaclty on the edge of  a color line, you will always fight that.

4. check the speed- the slower the speed the better result I get on contour cuts-.

hope this helps! :)

Hello,

1) Everything matches up as far as registration marks on software, print and cutter.

2) Yes, loading based on registration marks lining up to straight edge of cutter.

3) Check.

I've gotten a bit further in this journey.

I kept throwing error  E04012 : Exceed cutting area during -x detection.

So I decided to turn the whole print 90 degrees and rotate it in cutting master 3 it reads registration marks perfect nearly every time, contour cutting is almost perfect, along with perf cut. It's still a bit off randomly.

This "temp solution" however won't work in all scenarios.

The solution in the manual doesn't lend much other than "exceeded detection area while detecting the registration mark. Solution: chekc the media. check the print postion of the registration mark.

Also I printed with the H segment type 2 registration marks to try to better adjust cutting... My Cutting Master 3 locks the rotation at 90degrees and never reads the registration marks correctly.

I figured there would be a learning curve with new pieces of equipment... but this being my 7th cutter I could not have ever imagined these headaches.

Did you get anything figured out with this issue?  We are having the exact same issue so we would love to hear if you were able to fix it perfectly.

Same Here.. I am having issues with this cutter as well. I am interested to see, if you have found a resolution yet.

We have the same problem but it only occurs when cutting laminated vinyl.

If any one knows something please let me know.

zxcvb

It's probably the gloss surface causing a false reading. You can try putting a piece of matte finish scotch tape over the marks. I have never needed to do this myself but I read that it can help.

This problem just popped up for me on my fc8600, out of no where!  Anyone have a solution that worked for them?

5 hours ago, Graphtec-CE50-LITE said:

Hello,

I had that issue too as the pinch rollers springs were too loose.

You posted this before under another Graphtec FC thread.  Totally different machines and different problem. The Graphtec CE7000, that you bought, has a known problem which is posted here in the forum. If you would contact Graphtec, they would send you the part to make the cutter work correctly.   CE units and FC units are nothing alike. 

The problem with the CE7000 is posted in this thread. 

• Like 1