Sign in to follow this  
restless-rooster

tape air bubbles help

Hey guys

So lately I have been doing alot of 24x12 (ish) decals. When I tape them, it all looks good. However, a day later, sometimes I get some bubbles. What am I doing wrong?

Also, sometimes when I tape, I get bubbles on my roller lines.

One more somewhat off topic question. For transportation purposes, do you roll your decals, or keep them laying flat?

Well for transportation...It depends on how large the decal is..  Larger  than  16"  I roll up loosely.. I ship in ULINE boxes..   Under 15" L I can ship flat...usually.   When a customer gets a rolled up decal, they are advised to squeegee it good before applying...

I recommend RTape AT75 for gloss vinyl and Oracal HT55 for matte or gloss vinyl. AT75 is a clear plastic tape and HT55 is a semi-opaque paper tape.

I recommend RTape AT75 for gloss vinyl and Oracal HT55 for matte or gloss vinyl. AT75 is a clear plastic tape and HT55 is a semi-opaque paper tape.

This ( RTape AT75  )   works with  long/large rolled up decals that are shipped? 

The longest decal I've done with AT75 is maybe 4'. It rolls up so very nice. I don't think you could get it to tunnel even if you tried.

Most taped decals will roll better one way than the other, but the AT75 rolls great either way.

You should roll your decals with the vinyl facing out.

Every plastic tape I have tried tunnels after a few minutes in a hot car. Have you tested the AT75? I would try a couple small 6"x6" decals and a larger rolled decal. Let me know how well it holds up.

• Like 3

You should roll your decals with the vinyl facing out.

Every plastic tape I have tried tunnels after a few minutes in a hot car. Have you tested the AT75? I would try a couple small 6"x6" decals and a larger rolled decal. Let me know how well it holds up.

Yep, vinyl facing out. Vinyl typically rolls best width wise than length wise.

All of the Rtape plastic types I have tried do poorly in sunlight or heat. They both like to tunnel and bacon to hell. AT75 was the most reactive.

• Like 1

All of the Rtape plastic types I have tried do poorly in sunlight or heat. They both like to tunnel and bacon to hell. AT75 was the most reactive.

That was why I was asking about it for shipping.. Packaged decals sit in hot mail trucks, and on hot porches....What do these rolled up decals look like after they are shipped?

I agree. I use a little clear tape for some of the small craft designs I do for people locally but otherwise it's paper tape all the way for me. It's so much more stable with temperature changes and I don't have stretching issues on longer multi layered work that needs to line up good. I'll sometimes use some clear choice if I am going to have to work a curve. That seems to be one redeeming quality other than easier registration viewing. 

• Like 1

That was why I was asking about it for shipping.. Packaged decals sit in hot mail trucks, and on hot porches....What do these rolled up decals look like after they are shipped?

I've tested AT75 outside leaving it rolled and unrolled in 90+ degree weather  for a long afternoon with no exposure to sunlight.

Upon unrolling, the app tape didn't tunnel excessively, but it did pull up off the backing a bit. The worst thing however, is that if you try to squeegee the face, you have a good chance of creasing parts if you do it poorly.