mfatty500

For those doing glasses

Can you explain how to use this chart? There is one out there that has alignment marks on it for centering images but I am not sure what this chart would be used for.

Can you explain how to use this chart? There is one out there that has alignment marks on it for centering images but I am not sure what this chart would be used for.

That is simply a radius from the center of those given diameters. You would measure the diameter of the glass (usually different top and bottom) and then use that as a quick reference as a boundary line. If you write your text on that curve it will come out looking straight on the glass. I would use one top and one bottom line according to the glass and then make my design fit within that curved area. Those radius' are bigger than most of the stuff I work on but it gives one the general idea. 

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!! Why didn't i search this before i struggled for a few hours the other night?! LOL Thanks!!!!

What sort of glasses are you etching that have a 6" or greater diameter?

You need to factor in the angle of the glass, assuming flat sides. I noticed over the weekend that the Ozark Trail 20oz cups no longer have a consistent slope, they actually have two slopes and are slightly curved at the top.

For straight sides you need the radius/diameter of the top, the bottom, and the height.

You can also just wrap a piece of paper around, tracing the lip and bottom and then scan it in. I like the math, but the paper method works just as well.