gm2k8

Serial Cable info

ok.. i've had a cutter for years with the supplied serial cable.. however a friend purchased the same cutter w/o any cables.. so i told him to order a serial null cable.. he ordered one i think it was10ft.. still didnt work.. so i tested it on my cutter.. the cable didnt work.. so as a test i brought my cable over to his house and we hooked it up.. worked fine.. he sent that first cable back and ordered another.. this one was 6ft.. didnt work.. i tested it with mine.. didnt work.. i then suspected maybe the pinouts were different.. so using a ohm tester i started to test mine.. then i tested his brand new one.. pinouts are different.. any ideas? both cables he ordered were DB9 RS232 Serial Null Modem Cables..

bet someone is sending him a non - null modem cable if the pin outs are different - they are sending him a regular serial cable maybe 

ok so mystery solved.. the cable i have isnt a null modem cable its a straight thru cable.. every pin matches.. so he got one and boom it worked.. smh

• Like 1

so is it the lp or lp2 that uses the regular cable for future reference?

I used a regular serial cable on the Seiki for years

Null, is the keyword. It doesn't have one of the connections in it. That's what makes it 'null', or something to that effect.

Null, is the keyword. It doesn't have one of the connections in it. That's what makes it 'null', or something to that effect.

I thought it was a pinout difference in the null modem - which a lot of cutters use and was trying to narrow down is it the creation laserpoint 1 or the liyu laserpoint2 that they was working with

I thought it was a pinout difference in the null modem - which a lot of cutters use and was trying to narrow down is it the creation laserpoint 1 or the liyu laserpoint2 that they was working with

That's what you use, when you're trying to cut directly from Corel. The way I understood it, (when I was trying), it is missing a wire, that's what makes it 'null'. Don't know, gave up on that project pretty quick.

A null modem cable has the TX and RX lines crossed. ie TX in on pin 3 on one end, and pin 2 on the other and RX is on pin 2 on the first end and pin 3 on the other. These type of cables were used back in the day to allow two computers to talk directly to each other without the need of a modem.

• Like 1