Sign in to follow this  
advantagegraffixx

Squeegee Alternatives??

We do many thousands of decals ranging up to 9 by 30 inches long. Most need taping so this obviously runs into huge amount of work. Is there any type of machine that we can buy or make ourselves that would be easier than using a plastic squeegee? My thought is some type of roller device similar to the old wringer washer except it might cause curling. So what's out there? What do you suggest? Thanks in advance

• Like 1

I use the heck out of my 25" big squeegee cut vinyl tool. There is a learning curve but once mastered it's a fast safe way to tape off large designs or many feet of multiple designs by yourself without problems. 

I'm really looking for something that is powered and that I could just feed decals through that are already taped. Something that will do the work of squeegeeing the app tape to the decal so to speak. My "shop" is here at home and so space is limited. I work mostly alone because I take care of my disabled husband. I just finished up an order for about 20,000 decals and in the middle of another 12,000 order. That's a lot of squeegeeing. Lol

USCutter's Lightning 25" cold laminator is on sale. That might work for you.

Forgive me, I am trying to understand the final look of the decal.

So lets say you mount the tape in a laminator, and you do a sheet of decals. You then hand cut the decals from the sheet.  However, the app tape would be the same dimension as the backing paper.  Would you not want the app tape slightly larger than the backing, so you can crease  it over?

My app tape   (I use paper tape) and backing paper are always the same size,  and larger than the decal.   I trim both at the same time with scissors. or exacto knife.. I don't crease app tape over.  And I ship everything.  Never had a problem.

• Like 3

My app tape   (I use paper tape) and backing paper are always the same size,  and larger than the decal.   I trim both at the same time with scissors. or exacto knife.. I don't crease app tape over.  And I ship everything.  Never had a problem.

Same here.

Forgive me, I am trying to understand the final look of the decal.

So lets say you mount the tape in a laminator, and you do a sheet of decals. You then hand cut the decals from the sheet. However, the app tape would be the same dimension as the backing paper. Would you not want the app tape slightly larger than the backing, so you can crease it over?

If you have to tape your app tape down then you probably haven't found the right app tape yet. I've read where people were putting clear tape over the corners so that the app tape didn't lift up. You shouldn't have to do that.

Cool- thanks Skeeter and pshawny. must be my paper tape- will try some tests with the clear.

I'm really looking for something that is powered and that I could just feed decals through that are already taped. Something that will do the work of squeegeeing the app tape to the decal so to speak. My "shop" is here at home and so space is limited. I work mostly alone because I take care of my disabled husband. I just finished up an order for about 20,000 decals and in the middle of another 12,000 order. That's a lot of squeegeeing. Lol

Those cold laminators look pretty nice.

With the Big Squeegee once you apply the tape it is basically done. There are two methods of pushing the tape out, one holds the roll up in the tray the other pushes the roll along ahead of you and that's the way I have the best luck. I find the roll weight helps keep the vinyl from static lifting. I regularly do 10ft or longer 24" wide applications. The biggest trick is getting it lined up at the start. You burn about a foot at the start in order to line it up and then if done correctly it will track straight all the way to the end. Once there I just cut the app tape loose and make one quick pass with the back of the BS to make sure it has good adhesion and it's ready to start cutting apart the decals. Most of my stuff is larger than what you are doing but it's the same difference. A few big long decals or hundreds of little ones. Biggest trick is lining up the tape and that will be the same on a laminator and unless you get a fan-dancy one with a pick-up roller you will probably have trouble keeping it lined up too. If you watch how those things apply the tape they don't lay it on there and then feed it through, they apply as they feed. 

• Like 1

Thanks!I am definitely checking into a cold laminator. That is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Now to find a good quality one at a price I can afford. It will make my life easier.

3M makes a table mounted pneumatic roller.  When I worked at the city streets department, the signage group had one mounted on their bench.  They would feed the edge of the weeded vinyl and tape under one side, turn on the air pressure and flip a switch and it would be pulled under the roller and come out perfectly smooth on the other side.  I have no idea what it's called - but I remember when they were preparing the budget for this year, they wanted to replace it and had $18,000 in the budget...

• Like 1