Sign in to follow this  
TauntDevil

Lamination over cut decals

I apologize for all these random posts.

I do my best to ask in a relative thread but didn't find any recent ones for this subject.

So a large majority of the stickers I sell/make are special vinyl. Glitter, reflective, etc and they are for the automotive community.

They absolutely love this stuff and I would be lying if I didn't agree.

The issue is. Almost all of it lasts about a month if lucky.

Glitter turns to goldish grey and falls apart, chrome tuned into a matte grey, etc.

I was have been thinking lately that it would probably be a good idea to try and maybe laminate over these decals with UV protected, etc lamination to try and keep the stickers from dying so quickly?

Basically like cutting out of the lamination the same decal I just cut on the special vinyl, and placing it on top of the special vinyl I cut. Kind of like multi color layers but instead of offset, its directly on top.

Does anyone think this may help or work or that its a waste of time and money to try?

Just thought that maybe if lamination of some kind works for digital print, that a similar version may help with decals as well.

Opinions/ideas?

Could it be the vinyl you are using?   I use Avery chrome, and it does not turn into matte grey.. It stays shiny chrome..  I have never tried glitter.

• Like 1

I use a UV cold laminate called Lamex on my aqueous prints and it

works quite well to prevent fading.  Whether it will work on your

specialty vinyls I don't know.  

Also, an over-laminate may affect the look of the chrome or glitter.

This would be something you should test yourself before making

and selling to customers.  The photo below is a sign I made up 

years ago and applied the Lamex to the top half and left the

bottom as printed.  The sign was out in full sun for 3 years.

Sue2

post-6159-0-48182500-1436103165_thumb.jp

I think Mz SKEETER nailed it.  Every vinyl has a recommended use and a life expectancy rating.  A lot of specialty vinyls - especially cheap specialty vinyls - have very short life expectancy when exposed to UV and the elements.

Adding a UV resistant laminate will help - some - but it will also lead to thicker, heavier decals.  Some specialty vinyls, like fluorescent colors for example, actually require UV in order to generate their apparent bright colors - blocking off the UV may block or reduce the appearance of whatever look you're going for.

I would strongly recommend that you upgrade to higher quality, name brand vinyls.  I have some Schein chrome film that has been on my truck for nearly 2 years and it's still bright and shiny.

I appreciate the replies.

Where may I find high quality glitter vinyl possibly?

Chrome has been sold once or twice but isn't as common as glitter for me.

Again, thanks for the replies. I will give it a try to test it. Working on a vinyl time tester where its basically a play in my backyard with a webcam on it taking a photo each day at the same time to see how long it takes for them to have any issue at all. My quest to find the best glitter vinyl! (and rainbow)

what brand of glitter vinyl are you using now?

H&Hsign Supply has 5 year.

Brand: Creative Film Corp

http://www.hhsignsupply.com/productcart/pc/Glitter-Vinyl-c379.htm

I have used this before but switched to ebay brand from a guy and lasts about the same time.

I dont go off of the duration suggestions on sites anymore because 95% are usually wrong from what I am learning.

I bought purple and pink from H&H signs. Lasted almost the same as the stuff I buy on ebay. I dont think glitter or specialty vinyl lasts long in any form.

Ill buy more from them to put on the test panel to get better results and "truly" test it but :/

Ebay details Hyperlinked (I like this seller. Great seller so far on Ebay in my opinion)

I have used Avery ultra metallics on commercial vehicles with good results. May not be glitter but pretty darn close.

• Like 1

I have used this before but switched to ebay brand from a guy and lasts about the same time.

I dont go off of the duration suggestions on sites anymore because 95% are usually wrong from what I am learning.

I bought purple and pink from H&H signs. Lasted almost the same as the stuff I buy on ebay. I dont think glitter or specialty vinyl lasts long in any form.

Ill buy more from them to put on the test panel to get better results and "truly" test it but :/

Ebay details Hyperlinked (I like this seller. Great seller so far on Ebay in my opinion)

Looks like he is just rebranding it....LVG...

Have you considered spray can clear coat? After weeding spray and let dry them tape it.

Looks like he is just rebranding it....LVG...

Yeah, mainly his company. He usually has the brands in the description like Avery or oracal, etc. Though the glitter doesnt really say anything and even when it arrives. Doesnt have anything on the back of it except lines

You might want to take a look at FOXFIREJOHN also.  They carry a lot of metal

http://www.ebay.com/sch/foxfirejohn/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3692

Thanks for the referral.

Have you considered spray can clear coat? After weeding spray and let dry them tape it.

Yes. As well as brush on. My other issue is if the transfer tape will peel or effect the lamination on top of the decal. The spray on is more preferred because of decals. Aligning multi layer decals is a pain so not having to do it would be preferred. When doing multi layer decals, my biggest issue is the vinyl tunnels from it being rolled (not the vinyl tunneling on the backing paper, more like the whole backing paper etc is still formed from it being a roll) and then static just makes it all that much worse. Recent issue currently has been mis-alignment not as well somehow even though I cut from colors on SCAL, it keeps resizing the next layer for some reason. Not noticeable until you go to align it and notice one layer is wider than the underlayer.