Sign in to follow this  
Jim_Nordin

First cutter

Looking to get my first plotter for making decals paint mask . Ect ect looking at us cutter SC. .

I know nothing about them but always wanted one

Any advice recommendation would be appreciated

Jim

Jim, I know this question has been asked numerous times on this board. The search option really is your best friend. I own a USCUTTER SC. The only thing I can say is it works great but my next machine will be a Graphtec! The SC is noisy small details are a little bit of a learning process in the set up. Once dialed in it cuts well. The memory is not all that, in other words it will not take a lot of detail. My advice is go ahead and jump up to the Graphtec just to save time

Butch

• Like 2

Hi Jim, welcome.

I had an SC and it was OK, but at virtually similar price point, the LPII (30") probably is a better value.

$500 shipped, eBay deal --  www.ebay.com/itm/USCutter-31-5-LaserPoint-II-Vinyl-Cutter-Contour-Cutting-w-Stand-SCAL-Pro-/300864035381

The Graphtec is not in the same pricing area, not even close.

Graphtec FC8600 Series Vinyl Cutter 30" is $3300. (offered through US Cutter website  http://www.uscutter.com/Graphtec-8600-Series-Vinyl-Cutter)

The Graphtec is not in the same pricing area, not even close.

Graphtec FC8600 Series Vinyl Cutter 30" is $3300. (offered through US Cutter website  http://www.uscutter.com/Graphtec-8600-Series-Vinyl-Cutter)

That  $3300  is the price for a 24" FC 8600      +$900 for 30"   But the FC units are absolutely great cutters.

The CE5000-60   24" which is also a great cutter is approx $1700.

http://www.uscutter.com/Graphtec-CE-6000-Vinyl-Cutter-Bundle

Looking to get my first plotter for making decals paint mask . Ect ect looking at us cutter SC. .

I know nothing about them but always wanted one

Any advice recommendation would be appreciated

Jim

For a beginner the SC or LP2 are great choices. They DO have issues some of which are mentioned in previous posts but I think you learn some things through the trial and error of a budget machine that are impossible to (or nearly) learn on a high end cutter. I started out with a P-Cut which I believe is no longer offered but is similar to the LP2 cutter currently available. There are plenty of limitations to budget cutters but until you get something to start playing with you don't even know what you don't know yet. It's a great hobby and many (myself included) have turned the hobby into extra cash income. 

Thanks for the info guys . Wild Goose good info and insight . I agree get the best you can afford . But this is for the wife to,play around with . And she is cheap .

Thanks again

• Like 1

Welcome    I've been using the SC 30" cutter for some time now and have made several hundred $. I first had he MH mode. I'm actuallly reired bu have a small sign shop here at home as a nice second income. Eventually I will step up to a servo model. Depending on intended use, he SC does a good job for me. Just my $.02. Best of luck to you !!!

Welcome    I've been using the SC 30" cutter for some time now and have made several hundred $. I first had he MH mode. I'm actuallly reired bu have a small sign shop here at home as a nice second income. Eventually I will step up to a servo model. Depending on intended use, he SC does a good job for me. Just my $.02. Best of luck to you !!!

I ran a retail operation and made THOUSANDS of $$$ with the SC.

However, if someone came up to me today and said "Go, spend $500, get what's out there for that much money..."  then I would buy the LPII.

Your wife will thank you, and she'll be happy.

Thanks guys I was just looking at the LP kinda leaning that way . I'll do a little more research then order one .

Thanks again

I have the SC and am very happy with it.  I also have a graphtec.  The SC was my first cutter and took a bit of trial and error  to get it dialed in (I also had no prior experience so it took me a bit longer than others).  I have been able to get some really good results and fine detail with the SC.  You have to know how to rub the machine right.  It will really do some good work with tweaking.  I actually tend to us my SC more than the graphtec because of ease of use.  (that is more than likely my very own opinion) as I find it faster and easier to get vinyl loaded, lined up and cutting.  (for most jobs)  Now, when precision is important.... the graphtec gets the job for sure.  My SC is 24" and the graphtec is 60" so just based on size the SC is just quicker most of the time.  Both machines have a place in my shop!

• Like 2

I actually tend to us my SC more than the graphtec because of ease of use.  (that is more than likely my very own opinion) as I find it faster and easier to get vinyl loaded, lined up and cutting.  (for most jobs)  Now, when precision is important.... the graphtec gets the job for sure.  My SC is 24" and the graphtec is 60" so just based on size the SC is just quicker most of the time.  Both machines have a place in my shop!

Same here!

My first cutter was the original LaserPoint with CleanCut 60 blade.  

I learned on the LP intending to upgrade after a bit.,,,and then sell the LP.

I've had my Graphtec now for about a year and we are just starting to bond.

It is a much better machine but I will still turn to my LaserPoint for quick, simple cuts.

The Graphtec is hands down the better cutter for precision & small details...

That said, I cut the same text file on both machines this past weekend and

there was a visible difference in the quality of cut & weeding.  

The text was not super detailed or small but, the Graphtec won hands down.

Sue2

• Like 1

I've had numerous cutters including the lp2 which I mothballed when I went Graphtec but that being said I dug it out a couple months ago and loaned it to another shop when their cutter died and they like it so much I still haven't got it back.