Sue2

Verizon Internet & phones are out!

Argh!  You don't realize until it's not there how much

we depend on internet & wireless phones!

Been out since 2 PM.....story is that a major fiber was

cut near the Philadelphia, PA area.

Last I heard they were saying 24-48 hours to repair.

Ouch!

Sue2

Northern Virginia

dang - hoping when they dig up the culvert to make it lower they don't hit the main line I depend on for internet - that would be tough with the business and I know they ran the line right down the center of the ditch - actually bored it under 1/2 of my yard then plowed the rest (someone had buried huge rocks and cement chunks in the ditch when it was filled years ago = made for quite the show a couple years back   :rolleyes:  :angel:

Interesting. I always wondered why they didn't make everything go lower. Though I think this must be location only because I didn't lose a call or have any signal issue other than the normal low quality service I normally get. And I have Verizon.

Sorry sue I live about 30 miles from Philly and mine is working

According to their outage map, Verizon reports it to

be/have been 100 mile radius of Philly.

Seems to be Maryland, northern Virginia, New Jersey,

DC and south eastern Pennsylvania, some of Delaware,

& southeast New York..  People were reporting GPS issues too.

Hope by the time I get to work it's back up.

This is a good reason to have different providers for

home & business .....at least I could still get files sent

and Proofs out from home.

Sue2

Whew...it's over!  We have the internet back!

LOL

Sue2

• Like 2

And I used to complain when I couldn't use the phone because we were on a party line. We have become slaves to technology.

People reporting GPS issues, don't understand how GPS works. Broken fiber is not going to effect actual GPS. Most phones use tower location signals to enhance GPS but the GPS will still work with zero phone service.

People reporting GPS issues, don't understand how GPS works. Broken fiber is not going to effect actual GPS. Most phones use tower location signals to enhance GPS but the GPS will still work with zero phone service.

I'm on Verizon and if I lose my signal my gps goes kaput on me. Can't say why but it does.

The gps will still work and show your location but it will be on a blank screen....Without service your device will not download the map background

Mine literally stops. I drove 10 miles in the sticks last night to buy a 4 wheeler and it stayed in the same spot the whole time on the screen. Verizon is a mess.

What type of phone? Wonder if it doesn't have a true GPS receiver.

galaxy s5. Using scout for gps so it may be dependent on network availability but not really sure

Ah, could be an app thing. App sees there is no network and can't load maps so it doesn't bother to try to do anything. I use one called NavFree, it loads the maps to the phone so you don't need a network to see them. CoPilot is another good one but the free version is a little annoying and I didn't see the need for the pay version.

• Like 1