Sign in to follow this  
jaybyrd

Need a little help from our electronics gurus

I put the mb in my graphtec put the ribbon cable from the control board has been unplugged at some point over the last year and I can't get it to make a connection. Any suggestions?

How many wires are in the ribbon cable? I once used super glue to hold a monitors ribbon cable in place....

Id say take a picture. 

Some ribbon cables connectors(on the board) have a little lever that lays flat when its closed/locked. Make sure you lift that up to open the connector before you install the cable. 

I'll get a pic later but there is no lever or pull up type release. It looks like it just friction fits and I cannot for the life of me get it to make connection.

The board was identical in appearance. I can here a couple things cycling when I turn it on but that cable is preventing me from going further and it's really starting to bug me as I don't own a boat so no need for a boat anchor.

Is the end of the cable smooth? Maybe the board came defective and there is a bent contact inside the connector? Look inside to make sure its clear.

This isn't on the board it is at the control panel. Board went in fine but at some point since it was disassembled last year this cable got knocked loose.

hard to tell from the picture but on the ribbon cable is there a stripe to indicate which sided has pin 1 designated by the triangle on the board

is this from your door Jay?

11692790_1296035960425854_11876201586419

I used to have that same thing hanging over my desk at the old store. 

The connector on the board should have a tab that will open the connector so the cable can be inserted and then snap shut to hold it.

No registration marks on the cable anywhere.

The connector on the board should have a tab that will open the connector so the cable can be inserted and then snap shut to hold it.

Looks like a solid molded end. No tabs of any kind on it and it's starting to worry me like maybe it was molded with the cable?

All of the other cables have an exposed surface for contact but this one doesn't?

Jay, That is called a ZIF connector (Zero Insertion Force). sometime to install the cable on them the entire connector lifts up a hair then the cable is inserted, then you push down both ends at the same time. Those connectors are used in most laser printers. If you examine it closely you might see that the connector rises a bit to allow easy insertion of the cable. if it does not insert easily the connector is in the closed position.

greenie

Thanks I need to dig deeper about the direction to plug it up but at this point I'd be happy just to see what holds it in there.

Jay, That is called a ZIF connector (Zero Insertion Force). sometime to install the cable on them the entire connector lifts up a hair then the cable is inserted, then you push down both ends at the same time. Those connectors are used in most laser printers. If you examine it closely you might see that the connector rises a bit to allow easy insertion of the cable. if it does not insert easily the connector is in the closed position.

greenie

Just scary cause it looks like if you pull to hard it would break something. I'll need to mess with it more after I close tonight.

It looks like all the pins in the socket are on one side (the back in this photo) and if so, if one side of the cable has exposed contacts, that will be the side that needs to go towards the pins...

Yeah now I'm wondering if somebody hasn't screwed with it while it was apart for the last few months because I don't see any connections bare on the end that was unhooked. pic 1 is the end that was still attached and pic 2 is the problem end. 988581_1653894631496962_578072469523339410403096_1653894648163627_19153761903225

"Greenmachine" has it, the top on the white connection on the circuit board (nearest circuit board edge) will lift up about 1-2mm. Not between the board and socket, but the top of the socket "thick" edge will pop up allowing insertion of the ribbon cable then re-seat the top of the socket, locking in the ribbon. No orientation mark is required because it is one sided contacts.

I can provide pics if required. I do these all the time on automotive audio control circuit boards.

No registration marks on the cable anywhere.

well shucks - the mainboard should have that same triangle on pin1 so just make sure that side of the cable also is the side that hits pin 1 on the control board

OPEN and CLOSED pictures. You might need to put on (as my wife calls mine) your "old man glasses" to see were to lift with a jewelers flat blade screw driver or box knife.

post-37668-0-03858700-1435620452_thumb.j

post-37668-0-37942800-1435620459_thumb.j

• Like 1