Primal Decals

Outline Font like this

For the life of me i cant remember how i did this ,,I need to make a outline  that will cover part of the text inside and outside of the edge if you understand what i mean. I got lucky when i did this in Ai  and i dont know how i did it lol... Its the outline around Carys ..Thank you Very much..

post-88251-0-14083000-1430936652_thumb.j

Go to Object>Path>Offset Path (Or Outline Path).

Thats after the font is changed to paths themselves which if you dont remember that. Click that layer and its Type>Create Outlines

• Like 1

Its not coming out the way i need it .i can get the outline but im missing something to where it needs to be thicker? so it covers a little inside of the red and a little outside the red and be empty in the middle ( like blank) .. Dang  it , i wish i could figure it out .. Im putting the black out outline over the top of the font im working with... they dont want a empty area in between the the actual text and the outline ...so it needs to cover like i stated..

Its not coming out the way i need it .i can get the outline but im missing something to where it needs to be thicker? so it covers a little inside of the red and a little outside the red and be empty in the middle ( like blank) .. Dang  it , i wish i could figure it out .. Im putting the black out outline over the top of the font im working with... they dont want a empty area in between the the actual text and the outline ...so it needs to cover like i stated..

If the black part is an outlined object take it off and start again by adding a stroke to the red....if it is a stroke make sure the stroke is on the line and not either outside or inside the line. Not sure if that is clear lol but I think thats what you are asking.

If you are working on multiple letters at the same time you will have better luck after making them a compound path. Select them all if they are not already in a group then Object>compound path>make or use the short keystroke:  Command+8 (cntrl+8 on pc) Once they are all one object in AI's eyes they will path offset a little better usually. 

If you keep getting stumped post the file and I'll play with it for you this evening. 

Well for some reason im either not getting it or i just went to a blonde moment and im not blonde, so what im going to do is cut a sample with some scrap vinyl and post a pic. And Moody and Goose im sending you a message regarding the help you are trying give and i cant get my brain to work  lol..

Found some scrap letters sooooo... The black is the piece im trying to figure out... I want my Stroke or Outline  to be wider so it will be on the outside and inside of my letters ( Not a full outline but a shadow for each letter > I think i should of chose a different image the first time,cause its not exact to what im looking for as i thought ..These are not the letters im using but its what i had laying around as junk.... My main words will be behind which will be red and i want to take a outline etc and place it over the top and have it cover outside roughly 1/4  past the edge of the letters and same to the inside..I wish i knew the correct phrase to use of what everyone calls things but im trying my best to get all this on my own and i do look on the web as well as much as possible before i reach out to my forum friends for help and i hate asking for help,but i dont know the terminology yet so i sometimes dont find my answer online ...I thank you all so very much and i do my best to help others when i can in anyway possible...All you top dogs rock when you do help new guys or idiots like me that have a brain cramp ....Thank you ...... ;D ;D ;D ;D

post-88251-0-18857400-1435191676_thumb.j

To get what you are describing you can do some stroke like Moody said and make it thicker until you like the look. Then you can expand the thing and it will give you what you are describing with the interior letters or graphics being about 1/2 way inside the stroke and the stroke will be a compound path outline type thing. 

Be sure that you have already turned the text into outlines. Also keep in mind that when you add stroke in this manner it will encroach on the original font and make the letters look smaller/skinny. Illustrator is weird sometimes and a trick you can do with this is to align the stroke to the outside of the object and make the stroke the size you want then expand it and it will leave the overall appearance just like you had it but will move/enlarge the inner color (original text) out to the middle of the outline and give you the overlap you were looking for. I don;t know why it does that but you can use it to your advantage in this scenario. 

So if I am correct, you are trying to get the outline to be inside and outside evenly? Correct? Like outline inner and outline outer? If so, for doing decals, would be better to just space out the letters and shrink them, then do a outer expand of the outlines since doing it in the center will keep a center line from the below layer unless you merge by removing front or back.

Yes and yes  TauntDevil ........Thank you guys "EVERYONE".. I will once again give it a whirl later lol... I really appreciate all the help and i hope me pea brain functions today lol... I havent been getting much sleep lately so maybe that's my issue as well.... Thank you Again and i will let you know the outcome lol.... ;D

Well  i finally got it figured out  and i had to do it in scalps  to understand what i was looking for and i dont remember if it was Goose i remember making a comment in another post or Moody etc... Since i was already imported into scalps and it was an outline,  what i had to do was make a shadow outline to the thickness  needed which was like .25 inches , Then take my original Font and make a inner shadow .25 inches which is called "Inset shadow in Scalps 4". Once i made the thickness of that, I took my original font and moved it and placed the new Inset shadow over the main shadow and aligned them horiz and vert so they were matched perfectly on top of each other and then Selected both and DID A MINUS FRONT TO BACK and it then hollowed out the shadow layer and gave me a thicker outline as needed which was .50 inches Now the outline will cover .25 on the font and .25 onto the glass and it wont have a gap... OMG!!!  Now i need to figure out how to do it in ai ..I made note of this so i wont forget it next time..Thanks again for everyones input. But if you understand i what did and know how to do it in ai Please leave some input lol..

• Like 1

PM me the file(s) because I want to see the before and after to better help you. 

are you talking about like this. if so then this how you do it.

enter name

go to stoke / Fill and the one with the red slash click that

select your color

at the top bar next to type you will see the fill and stroke box

next to that will be stroke in blue letters. click the down arrow and set your pt weight this was i think at 5pt

once you like it go to object and flatten transparency

convert all text to outlines.

this is the most important part after you flatten

Find your merge button in pathfinder and click that if you dont do that then your cutter will cut all the different stroke points and you will be make cause it will look like shredded beef.

post-42519-0-40664100-1435449795_thumb.j

• Like 1