So what would you guys charge. For cut out weed mask and install. The material and masking will be provided by the Township. The cop car has two color black and gold on both doors. It has white reflective unit number on front fenders and trunk. An emergency 911 decal on back fenders. The trunk has a unit number the words police in three inch letters and a Web adress 15 letters long 2 inch tall and 2 foot wide all in white reflective.

The fire truck is gold leaf pinstripe decal pre-made. The arrow heads are made by me with gold leaf and black. The white pinstripe was cut on the plotter. The letters and numbers are tricky it's hard to see them but they have three layers. A black background a white layer that extends just past the gold as a highlight "wish I would trust my self with a pinstripe brush and white paint" then engine turned gold lief on top, I think I got the pinstripe and gold leaf from Real Gold.

post-34629-0-70643500-1434858113_thumb.j

post-34629-0-28909900-1434858240_thumb.j

post-34629-0-32714000-1434858268_thumb.j

Just going off the pictures for labor alone, looking at $200 on the black one and $350 on the red one. Looks like very precise registration with little to no bleeds.

That's nice work. If they are supplying the vinyl then I would agree with Commands numbers. You might see if they will go T&M. Then if it ends up kicking your butt they still cover you but if it goes fast it costs them less. 

I don't know why but I expected the cop car to cost more than the fire truck. The fire truck was a pain trying to get that pinstripe to line up perfect and the three layer graphic for the numbers and letter of but it didn't take much work on part of the weeding masking and cutting. I think each car took about 6 hours from cleaning them cutting the graphics and installing by my self.

I kind of look at lining up 2 pin stripes in the same light as cutting fabric in a straight line. It sounds easy but its actually terrible. The fire truck would have me there 6-8 hours no doubt.

I see the cop SUV as much Easier by comparison, but the lack of bleeds make it somewhat difficult as well.

If they would be receptive to increasing the black outlines, this job would be much easier / faster.

Yes the bleeds do suck. And the only way to have the black shadow and center on the letters is to make the gold an outline and slip it into place. It's rather difficult because the slip solution likes to pocket into the voids in the letters and doesn't let it dry well. I've tried to layer the gold over the black on the shop table but the problem with that is you can't cram all the parts of the decal in and create 3 times as much waste. Now if I they ordered smaller roles that may be easier. And Iill be honest I did have to do some knife magic in a spot or two where something didn't match up just perfect. It's hard to get something perfect trying to do it on the car over a 3 foot long graphic when the doors curv and twist a little. I may have to revisit layering them on the table before installing and ordering clear transfer tape.

The red car wasn't so bad to be honest. I used masking tape at first to make sure it looked good and I like the placement. I measured a thousand times and placed registration marks where I wanted the thicker gold line to set. I spread the gold line over the shop table and layered masking tap on top to stiffen it up and make it much more rigid. I tacked one end at the back of the truck walked to the front pulled tight and slowly set it in place. I sprayed the masking tape with water to lose its hold and pealed it off the gold stripe. The white stripe I cut on the plotter about 3 foot long sections and it had a spacer peace cut with it. So the 1/16 line I kept and a 1/4 inch line that was removed as a spacer. I used clear transfer tape and slipped the line into place butting the spacer edge up to the gold pinstripe once it dried i removed the transfer tape and the sacrifice spacer and was left with the perfect spacing and the thin white pin stripe.

• Like 2

Spacer is a great idea. I may have to borrow that one some day.