Anybody here use a storage unit for vinyl / business related purposes?

I've got too much stuff in my house and my girlfriend is giving me hell about encroachment in her land (proverbially speaking). It's gotten to the point that I'm starting to sell off some of my rolls for cheap to free up space (for more rolls, lol. I can't stop)

Ideally I'd love to have a shop or space to operate out of, but cannot justify the cost at this time. I read in another thread that someone was using a climate controlled storage unit with power to act as a storage area / mini shop.

I'd kindly ask your thoughts on the matter~

Sounds like the g/f is encroaching on your vinyl space :rolleyes:

Any storage unit that they would allow you to run a business out of will probably run $300-400 a month. Most storage unit places should have a couple of larger commercial units for rent.

• Like 2

I'm in a MH on leased land, so putting up an outbuilding or something of the sort isn't possible unfortunately. This has left me looking at "alternative" solutions 

When i had a shop that I wrenched on cars I only paid $130 a month and that included power.  It was a 12'x25' bay with a large roll up door.  

When i had a shop that I wrenched on cars I only paid $130 a month and that included power.  It was a 12'x25' bay with a large roll up door.  

I'd jump on that for sure. Unfortunately I can't find anything remotely of the sort around here.

Looking at shops, they run a minimum of $500 for rent. Then you have liability insurance, utilities, internet, etc and my expenses become almost double my current "treading water" number for the month.

Got to get off my duff and make some more $$ instead of collecting toys haha.

Wish I could go with OOG's solution

Can't put in on the land where I am at, so it isn't a tenable solution unfortunately. Ive got one shed with a motorbike and lawnmower

I've seen some, that were pretty nice. They're already in a commercial building, so the zoning people can't say anything, if you want a business license.

Can't put in on the land where I am at, so it isn't a tenable solution unfortunately. Ive got one shed with a motorbike and lawnmower

do you have a friend that has a small spot you can lease from them for cheap and plop one of the sheds there

I have a 6'x10' enlcosed cargo trailer.  I don't use it.  It's practically brand new.  It just sits in the driveway.  I have been contemplating tossing in a portable AC, and a generator just so I can have an extension of my home office.  that being said... If I wanted to go mobile for something for some reason.... I could.

• Like 1

No friends in the area. Just moved to be with my G/F.

Did a lot of research and found the storage unit to be the most tenable. I was hoping I'm not the only guy to go that route.

• Like 1

I worked out of a flea market stall for a couple years and those are just storage units with more rent. I was not climate controlled and never had an issue with the vinyl or my equipment but me on the other hand... That crap was hot in the summer without any a/c.

• Like 2

I'd jump on that for sure. Unfortunately I can't find anything remotely of the sort around here.

Looking at shops, they run a minimum of $500 for rent. Then you have liability insurance, utilities, internet, etc and my expenses become almost double my current "treading water" number for the month.

Got to get off my duff and make some more $$ instead of collecting toys haha.

Wish I could go with OOG's solution

You're talking about a commercial biulding. This wasn't a business spot.  It was just a storage unit and I didn't need any of that.  Just rows of storage units.  

I moved an hour away and found another unit for $95 a month where I storaged my race car and every now and then worked on it.