Sign in to follow this  
Willmac1.wm

Doing business with NJ state.

Ok I'll start by saying I don't really plan on opening a business I have a good paying job and don't have time to go full out. Long ago I used to install police car graphics for a company that doesn't do that kind of work any more. the township called me directly to see if I wanted to install the graphics one a few new cop cars for them. Now the catch. I'm not a business owner like an LLC or DBA. So I would some how need a BRC business registration certificate to do business with the state. Does any one know how to go about doing that without having to set up a full LLC I just rather prove the extra money on my own income. The state department that wants me to do the work said they can add me to the payroll but they can only pay 12.50 an hour because that's what they are aloud to pay a temp employee and that's not even worth me driving to the shop and turning on the equipment. if I set this up right I can set my own price. Any advice would be helpful.

You should be able to go to your state's website and apply for a business license. In my state it's only $10 and takes just a few minutes. There should be no need to form a LLC. You can be a sole proprietorship. You will file your business taxes and personal taxes together on a regular 1040 tax form.

I hope I did it right. I didn't file for a FEIN I hope that's the right route. Like I said I'm not planning on getting big. I just want to do a few contracts a year for a Township making and installing police and fire graphics. They normally get about 3 new cop cars and both boats normally need new letters after the summer cops smash them up.

I plan on just declaring the income and additional income on my own taxes.

Sole proprietorships don't need a FEIN, unless you want to hire employees. You just use your SSN on legal documents instead. A FEIN is typically only needed for LLC's or corporations. If you grow to where you need to hire employees or want to separate your personal and business finances, then you could switch to a LLC or corporation.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/advantages-type-business-organization-10422.html

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/can-sole-proprietorship-employees-14423.html