Sign in to follow this  
Sal316

What would you charge?

I am lettering 86 dumpsters for my company. I am just trying to put a value on the work I am doing for the company.

Each dumpster will have:

(2) 15 ft X 24 inch decals

(2) 15 ft X 12 inch decals

(1) 20 inch X 10 inch decal

(1) 24 inch X 4 inch decal

(1) 35 inch X 4 inch decal

(1) 60 inch X 5 inch decal

This is Oracal 651 white only. Easy weeding on most.

Looking to see what you would charge for each dumpster, or as a whole. I am doing everything from start to finish, including design.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

on dumpsters I would upgrade the vinyl to a good cast vinyl to get better life out of the decals.

• Like 1

First I would figure out how much vinyl will be used. Decide what is the best way to layout the designs to maximize usage of the vinyl. With 651 I'd be around $7.25/sq.ft. for RTA decals.

Labor can vary quite a bit. Are these new dumpsters or old dirty dumpsters with existing decals?

First I would figure out how much vinyl will be used. Decide what is the best way to layout the designs to maximize usage of the vinyl. With 651 I'd be around $7.25/sq.ft. for RTA decals.

Labor can vary quite a bit. Are these new dumpsters or old dirty dumpsters with existing decals?

New dumpsters. Only labor is the application.

That's $43,000

Is this a company you work for? Are you making the decals with your equipment and installing them for your hourly rate?

Damn I need to redo my prices. at 500 to letter a dumpster I'd mail the quote so you don't end up in one of those dumpsters

• Like 1

I just went back to Sal316's first forum post. Seems the company purchased the equipment for their own in house work. They stand to save a lot of money having you do it. Hopefully you are being well compensated. There is definitely a lot worse things you could be doing for work.

The first two decals listed are, 90 square feet. Even $5.00/sq.ft, that's $450.00. Those are going to be some well decorated dumpsters.

I'd probably charge about $300 (I often do simple stuff in 651 for $3/sf) for the vinyl and then guess at the install at least another $100 per each. Most big dumpsters have a lot of structural ribbing that may make some of the install more time consuming.  Plus you will have a lot of prep time just cleaning prior to application regardless of new they will need a good rub down to be sure they are clean and oil free.

On a new dumpster, with white 651 and many dumpsters to do, I could come in at $200 Each and be happy.

If the dumpsters need to be cleaned etc, It would be more of a judgement call. Each dumpster is going to consume 20 yards of white and app tape, so materials and blade wear amount to $60 EA or so. With my girlfriend helping me, we could knock out 5 dumpsters in a day conservatively.

$700 over material cost per day, before accounting for machine wear sounds good!

On a new dumpster, with white 651 and many dumpsters to do, I could come in at $200 Each and be happy.

If the dumpsters need to be cleaned etc, It would be more of a judgement call. Each dumpster is going to consume 20 yards of white and app tape, so materials and blade wear amount to $60 EA or so. With my girlfriend helping me, we could knock out 5 dumpsters in a day conservatively.

$700 over material cost per day, before accounting for machine wear sounds good!

Let me back up and take my foot out of my mouth. I glanced and thought it was inches. Glad I wasn't bidding that job

I'm not afraid to do large, large guaranteed runs at well below market pricing.

I once did 11 Vans for a Ravioli Guy at $100 EA in one day. (1 Color, 8 Yards material / Van).  Having a laser level on a tripod  helps for speed.

By my accounts I made around $600 that day.

@ Jay: Nothing beats being mistaken and then realizing you got yourself into a world of trouble, lol.

I once did 11 Vans for a Ravioli Guy at $100 EA in one day. (1 Color, 8 Yards material / Van).  Having a laser level on a tripod  helps for speed.

Oh please tell me you didn't level with the world rather than a body line on those vans. 

• Like 3

I'm not THAT bad Goose! I have trouble Eyeballing anything over 2 FT.  which is why i use the level and those 80's looking glasses.

I always go off of a body line or the chassis by locking the tilt/roll axis on the tripod and then move it up vertically from there B) 

• Like 2

He he he! Glad to hear it. I'm sure you have seen the same vehicles in your area that some fool installed level and it looks like they were probably parked on a steep hill. Drives me nuts. I go to great lengths to make sure my junk lines up with something. Ha ha!

That is how I got a nj alarm company. He went to the Hispanic part of the next town over and got someone shadier than me who installed it crooked.

Probably the only client I charge close to market, because he is very particular and its a 5 color / 3 color overlay job that makes me  both happy and sad the two times Ive done it.

Lmao a guy just done our work van level not with Bob line Ford!! Looks like crap.... Just started vinyl on the side for now.