squelch

Quality of your cuts?

First off... I want to apologize to those who have already read about my PCut problems.  I have posted about this in the PCut specific forums, and received several suggestions and a lot of help from TyKite, but have been unable to solve my problem.  I was hoping it would get a few more views here and maybe someone might have another suggestion. 

I have been trouble shooting my new PCut 630 for over a month, trying to get it to give me a nice cut.  I have gotten all of the parameters set that make the cuts look good, with one exception.  Wherever the blade starts, it has a little curl to it.  Then, when it comes back around to close the cut, they do not meet (See Attached Drawing).  This is driving me nuts and I really want to get it fixed.

Here are my questions:

1.  Has anyone ever had this problem before, and if so, where you able to fix it?

2.  Is everyone else's cuts closing properly, or am I being to demanding of these cheaper machines?  I have samples cut by a Roland machine that are absolutely perfect.  How do your's look?

Specifics:

PCut 630

Direct Serial Port connection.

SignBlazer Elements

PC Laptop

45 degree blade that came with it

Speed 30

Pressure 140

Offset 47

Things I've already tried:

1.  I have tested the cutter over the full range of all the settings above.  This is what it takes to get the cut to look good and none of the settings have any effect on the closing of the cut.

2.  I have also tried it with the Pen installed.  The lines close perfectly with the pen.  No indications of the problem I am having with the blade.  However, the offset of 47 does not work with the pen.  It needs to be more like 25 to get nice sharp corners, which is to be expected.  With the blade at an offset of 25, all of the corners are rounded.

3.  Checked the rollers for play/looseness.  None.

4.  Checked the drive belt for slippage.  None.

5.  Changed cutter selection in SignBlazer to Creation PCut CTE630 HPG.  No difference.

I appreciate any input or suggestions.  At this point I will try anything.

Thanks,

Chuck

Here is a link to my other troubleshooting thread:  http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,4752.0.html

post-2128-12986518172128_thumb.jpg

post-2128-1298651818147_thumb.jpg

Something must be loose on the unit, and I do not think a part will resolve the issue. I tried to phone you, but I guess you were out of the country, so I could send you the RMA number via PM if you would like.

Ken,

That would be great.  If you don't think there is any way to resolve it then I would like to send it back.

I appreciate you answering this.  I know you are busy.  I was hoping someone else on the board had experienced and solved a similar problem.

Thanks,

Chuck

If so, I am sure they will post any helpful information that they know of. As it stands, I have no idea what would be causing this, and unless I had the unit here, troubleshooting would be tough and time consuming. I think it's best if we get you a unit that cuts the way it should.

i had the same problem and so i played with the blade offset value in my cutter software (signblazer). So far then only way i know what to put there is by the blade, on the case it come in will say the blades offset value, mine is .25

looking at the photo I would say the vinyl is not tracking perfect.  I have the same issue once in awhile and it's because the vinyl wasn't running straight.

I would say try different pressure and speed and feed the vinyl first to check that its tracking straight.

I suffer with the same problems of cuts not closing...  I assumed it was cause it's a cheaper cutter.  I'd also like to hear more on this.  If there is away to get it to close cuts I'm all ears!  ;D

I have a refine,my brother has the pcut. Our cuts close,every time. While sometimes it is a hardware issue,its mostly a matter of getting your settings,blade adjustmenst,etc..right.

MY Cheap cutter has probably made me $10,000 this year alone. I could buy a new one every two months and come out ahead.

Wow John Thats Great!

well,thats not ALL profit...but you should see the white in my hair where blonde used to be,and the circles under my eyes.

Guest fivestar

I've done over $50K volume with my little "$250.00 el cheapo" machine since I got it.

well, I have a full-time business, I make fast easy banners...and I will do anything anybody wants.

You,on the other hand,Joe, have artistic integrity. You will be rich long before I will.

Guest fivestar

Yes Joe I am like John, we do anything and everything people want in vinyl.  You have that "artistic side" and will make it big one day.

Guest gracewriter

I think it's your usb and laptop.  They don't seem to mix well.  I've read dozens of posts that that was the problem.  I had a pcut and never had a problem like what you describe.  had it on a 16' usb to my desk top.  Wouldn't have dared try that on a lap top.  The cuts were perfect.  It's an inexpensive machine, but I doubt it's the machine, or you.  Just the cable communication.

And by the way, shame on you for waiting so long to come on this board and ask for help!  ;D  (unless of course you just found out about it)  It must have been an extremely long month trying to figure this out on your own.  Some of us live to be asked a question we can offer support and an answer. 

Do you have another computer to hook it up to with the usb or serial?

I have the same feeling...

YOu can pick up a desktop PC for $100 or so that will run the cutter just fine. Laptops are great for portability..but the cutter is hardly portable,so I don't see the point. A dedicated computer for the cutter cuts down on a LOT of issues.

I think it's your usb and laptop.

I am not using USB.  I am using a serial cable and I have tried every conceivable setting combination I can think of.

Looking at the photo I would say the vinyl is not tracking perfect.

I thought that too and checked it out closely but couldn't find anything unusual with the tracking.

And by the way, shame on you for waiting so long to come on this board and ask for help!

I didn't wait long.  I posted this problem in the PCut support forum and the PCut Discussion forum.  Had some guys try to help, but no luck.

I really appreciate the input guys.  I have recently returned the cutter to US Cutter.  They are going to send me a new one.  We'll see what happens with it.  I will post the results of the new cutter once it arrives.

Chuck

Guest gracewriter

Great.  Be sure and let us know how it turns out and if we can be of further assistance!

Regards,

Grace