Working with decals, sublimation, or azs etching. Are there any issues with cipyrights when doing a parody of a logo? Something that references a team or brand, but altered in an original way..

there are exceptions..some parodies are protected  under the 'fair use' category....but be prepared to go to court because you will be sued. However, the chances are even that you might win. Others have.

Fair use is a great defense when you are in court getting sued for everything you own. 

• Like 2

I believe the law is like 50 to 75% changed not sure about that though.

Never seen any legal proof of a particular percentage. At the end of the day it's up to the judge and the jury whether you broke the law and even if you win lawyers aren't free.

• Like 1

Can avoid lawsuits by staying away from copyrighted images.

Some noob just opened up a vinyl shop here in town and has been plastering his business Facebook page with John Deere, Monster Energy Drink and every other popular brand logo you can think of.  We actually have a major John Deere facility here in town, so he's really playing with fire.  I considered being nice and warning him, but do I really want to help my competition?

• Like 5

Some noob just opened up a vinyl shop here in town and has been plastering his business Facebook page with John Deere, Monster Energy Drink and every other popular brand logo you can think of.  We actually have a major John Deere facility here in town, so he's really playing with fire.  I considered being nice and warning him, but do I really want to help my competition?

just sit back and watch the show - he wouldn't appreciate it anyways.   >:D

• Like 1

Might be best to contact John Deere to help him get the appropriate approvals.

• Like 2

As far as I understand, protection for commercial parody material is quite limited. Often artists like Weird Al get permission and pay a percentage to the original content owner. Only non-commercial items are afforded a wider level of protection.

That being said, I would think that in general, most companies would not pursue legal action beyond a C&D if the parody is not libelous or too similar. Of course, notoriously litigious companies should not be tested :P

Looks like the entire scope of Copyright is about to change...

This just out;

• Like 1

Wow. What a mess that would be if they manage to push that through. 

Can somebody give us the cliff notes version so we don't have to watch an hour and a half video? :rolleyes:

Can somebody give us the cliff notes version so we don't have to watch an hour and a half video? :rolleyes:

We're all screwed!

• Like 2

just sit back and watch the show - he wouldn't appreciate it anyways.   >:D

I see someone on Wichita Classifieds doing the same, it irritates the hell out of me, but I figure, she'll get caught. 

I asked once how she got the rights to use Bad Boy Mowers so easy and she deleted the comment twice.

• Like 1