Macon Innovations

wrap recommendations

Looking to pick up a couple Mug wraps but I would like some good ones.....I would prefer not to experiment and just buy some good ones to begin with......

Thanks

Mike

I like the Cactus wrap/DyeWrap. Conde sells them, but their shipping costs are a little high.

Bought one of the silicone wrap ones and either I didn't use it right or it didn't seem to work as well as the Cactus wrap one.

I have the mug wrap and shot glass wrap, going to get the stein one and water bottle one as soon as I get to a point where I quit buying blanks.

In other words, it will be a bit. LOL!

Dirt I have both wraps my self and I have not had a problem with the Coastal blue wraps they have worked as good as the cactus ones.

I have had some others and stick with 10 cactus wraps - I like the extra white layer that limits the stretch of the silicone rubber part

I have had some others and stick with 10 cactus wraps - I like the extra white layer that limits the stretch of the silicone rubber part

I myself like that feature also but sometimes cash flow tells ya hey these are like $14 if they last for a little while they paid for themselves and make me some money to buy better ones. 

I myself like that feature also but sometimes cash flow tells ya hey these are like $14 if they last for a little while they paid for themselves and make me some money to buy better ones. 

I agree with what you are saying and I'll give the silicone ones a try, but it's one of those things where if you feel comfortable with it and it's cheaper and works for you, there is nothing wrong with that.

For me, I'm one of those types of people that the cactus wrap is pretty "fool proof" and I'm sometimes a fool. LOL!

So the extra money for them was worth it.

• Like 3

Agree the cactus wraps are better and nothing is even close just one of those guys who is more like oh well if it doesn't work right I can send it back in a couple of days, or well I can sell it and get some money back.

That's a waste of tape and doesn't work as well as they show in the china videos. David Gross commented on this during his class at the NBM show.

again - i know nothing from doing them but i just lightly tape the top edges enough to get it squarely into the cactus wrap.  after you do 100 mugs and have to scrub the adhesive spray off of those you understand why saving that step can be important

post-2742-0-41600600-1433722750_thumb.jp

ps secret - someone at vinylforum bought some of the conde spray and when the label got wet found out it was a relabeled version of this stuff that is much cheaper without the added second label

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPRAYWAY-66-SPRAY-ADHESIVE-/271367392049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2ec1cb31

LRI said they used Aleena's removable spray adhesive. So after Dye trans spray is gone I will be purchasing that brand

Has anyone tried, just taping it tightly on the mug, with the heat tape, like they do in china?

You mean in place of using a wrap?

When the dye sublimates, it turns to gas and will leak away - the reason you use a heat press, or a tight fitting wrap is to keep the dye trapped against the polyester so it can't migrate very far.  I don't think it would be feasible to just tape it on and stick it in the oven - even with multiple wraps of tape.

You mean in place of using a wrap?

When the dye sublimates, it turns to gas and will leak away - the reason you use a heat press, or a tight fitting wrap is to keep the dye trapped against the polyester so it can't migrate very far.  I don't think it would be feasible to just tape it on and stick it in the oven - even with multiple wraps of tape.

hmmm - I never thought about it that way - yeah that wouldn't work at all not using a wrap to hold it tight

So i just got the Silicone wrap from coastal and i have a really stupid question......After the mug is wrapped how do you place it in the oven?

carefully?  :lol:

Someone recommended placing the mug upside down in the center on the tray.

It does seem to work well that way.

When I use the silicone ones, yes.

Just make sure they aren't close to the heating elements.

Not certain on the silicone wraps. 
You might want to use the paper folks recommend over the transfer paper if it's bleeding through.
I thought it was craft paper or parchment paper. 

Some folks have recommended alcohol to clean the ink off.

Being a mechanic, I always have brake cleaner around and have used it on the Cactus wraps, but you have to be very careful to only use enough to wipe the ink off and then use a clean towel/cloth/paper towel to wipe the BrakeClean off.
While I've never had a problem using it, there are 100 different brake cleaners out their and their chemical make ups are all different.

Meaning that while one may not be any problem with silicone, another one might be a problem.

But I would see if there is something that someone else may know about that is a little less aggressive.