Wildgoose

Anyone running a Baofeng UV-5R?

I have ordered a radio (couple weeks out) and am wondering if anyone has one similar. I don't have an FCC license so I'll have to be careful how I use this but am adding it to my emergency provisions. I have a good friend who is into HAM and he talked me into it. They are surprisingly affordable. 

As a licensed ameteur, all I can say is do not transmit with it! That can be set by programming with the Chirp software.

I have 3 and love them. First one finally broke after almost 3 years of pretty good abuse. I prefer to use BNC connectors for the antenna and the adapters are cheap and easy to come by.

If you have a friend that is a Ham, buy the book, spend a couple months studying it and then get your Tech license. It's worth it and a lot of fun!

As a licensed ameteur, all I can say is do not transmit with it! That can be set by programming with the Chirp software.

I have 3 and love them. First one finally broke after almost 3 years of pretty good abuse. I prefer to use BNC connectors for the antenna and the adapters are cheap and easy to come by.

If you have a friend that is a Ham, buy the book, spend a couple months studying it and then get your Tech license. It's worth it and a lot of fun!

That's the plan. I bought the bigger antenna he suggested although not the cable connection at this point. I plan to listen in while I work on my license. 

new licence test is pretty easy if you do some of the online practice test.   I bought that along with the adapter and one of dr fongs antenna kits to try at my house - aluminum siding with aluminum foil insulation - picture a big Faraday cage and trying to get radio signals thru it.  I also second that the chirp software is much better than that from the radio mfgr

• Like 1

That's the plan. I bought the bigger antenna he suggested although not the cable connection at this point. I plan to listen in while I work on my license. 

After going through it, I would suggest studying for both the Tech and General tests. The General really isn't much harder than the tech and if you pass that, you can get on HF and talk all over the world. Well worth the investment, except I doubt you'd find a $30 HF radio :rolleyes::bear: