Sign in to follow this  
slr001

12" vinyl, 8" application tape

So, I swear I saw a video (can't find it now). That shows using the application tape to cover the vinyl a little more than half way, then lay a second piece to cover the rest.

Did I dream this? Or is this a viable solution? Does it make it harder to apply the final decal?

You run the risk of getting bubbles where it overlaps when applying the decal but it can be done.

I have done it once in a while in a pinch but like jaybird says it's almost a given that you will have some bubbles at the overlap.They aren't usually very big but can be a problem. I find I have similar problems when I pre-layer graphics that overlap and I get small bubbles in the lower layer next to the layered upper due to the same thing. 

I call this the "bandaid". It can be done without bubbles, but requires paper tape and very strict handling. You have to be careful not to have slack when you place the bandaid, and then be careful during application.

I have done this before with no problems, I just put the tape right up next to each other but don't overlap, get it as close as you can, even a 1/16th of an inch gap is fine.