Sign in to follow this  
matt_rayner

Flexistarter cannot open port please help asap

Hi
I have been asked to try and sort someones issue out with their cutter and flexistarter

They have windows XP sp3

the cutter is connected using a serial port (no converters) serial port on cutter to serial port on pc.

The flexistarter software says cannot open port when you click on send to make it cut.

The cutter is setup in the flexistarter software on com1 at the moment. is that correct?

I do not know much about serial ports and com ports to be honest. so please bare with me.

Now i have uninstalled antivirus softwere and turned off the firewall just in case but that didnt make a difference.

I unistalled the com port in device manager and restarted the pc when it all restarted it worked and started cutting. ( i thought that fixed it)

When i shut the pc down and then turned it back on we get cannot open the port again.

Please can someone help me asap. thank you in advance.

I used to have that problem with my Flexistarter, and my value cutter...  I would choose a different com port than #1,   And always make sure you have your cutter plugged into your computer, then start up your computer and vinyl cutter.  You have to make sure that the com port number matches in your computer device manager, as well as in Flexistarter Production manager set up.

Which vinyl cutter are you using?

Has the serial/com port previously worked, or is this your first time using it?

If it has previously worked, I would suspect a bad cable.

If this is your first time trying to make it work, Device Manager is where you want to be to check all the settings.  Also, COM/Serial ports can be enabled and disabled in BIOS.  It might be worth a trip into the BIOS to see if it is enabled.

In Device Manager, you should  get more information such as is it enabled, is there a driver problem and is it COM 1 or COM 2 or COM 3.

i think it is a graphtec fc2100-50 the model number is off the top of my head but i think it is correct.

The setup has been used for years and years with nothing changing but all the sudden it stopped working.

I dont think it is the cable as it works after i delete the com port in device manager and then restart the pc until the pc is shut down again and then it stopps working.

A local computer company also tested the cable and said it works fine.

The cutter is always plugged into the pc it is never unplugged so when the pc is turned on it is already plugged in.

I think i know how to change the com port in the flexistarter software but how do i change the com port in device manager? It just says com1 and i cant see where to change it?

Also should the Graphtec cutter be listed anywhere?

It isnt in printer and faxes?

And isnt in device manager? is that correct?

Dont worry people i sorted it.

I changed the com port in device manager to com3 and changed it in the flexistarter to com3 as well and now it works.

Weird that com1 stopped working without anyhting being changed. But i have a happy customer.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Oh also there were 2 old printers stuck in the deleting status so i got rid of them as well. not sure if they played a part in it all.

thanks again.

• Like 2