Sign in to follow this  
Command

Best Transfer Tape for long term decal storage

Good day folks,

I make a lot of decals and then hold on to them to sell at shows later in the future. I've had very mixed experiances with transfer tapes holding on to decals 3+ months.

With some transfer tapes, Ive gotten tunneling (new AT-60 and AT-75), others leave a gummy residue (Maintape GFX preview plus), and the most dissapointing R-tape 4076 RLA, which for some reason after time the vinyl tears up the backing upon trying to apply. In the case of R-tape 4076 RLA, I tried to set the blade depth as shallow as possible to the point it was hard to weed and it still has that problem long term.

OLD R-tape AT-60 used to hold up very well, with decals over a year old still being good enough to apply. The new AT-60, not so much (it has very weak adhesive IMO).

Does anyone else produce decals and hold on to them for a while? Please let me know your experiance and preferences.

Thank you!

I believe the AT-65 medium tack is very much like the old AT-60 so you might want to give it a try.

• Like 1

I believe the AT-65 medium tack is very much like the old AT-60 so you might want to give it a try.

I really like AT-65 as well, I keep paper tapes around for wet applications but that's about it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will order a roll of AT-65 next time i need a round of vinyl.

Hopefully I get some more opinions on long term storage.

IMO, sounds like your creation/sales rate is askew if you need to store decals for over a year.

What's the purpose for making them so deep into the future?

Hi there Skarecrow,

nfortunately I'm forced to do this, as I attend large anime / video game conventions. For example, I'm attending an upcoming event called Otakon, which is in late July at Baltimore. I'm dropping $2k on the booth, hotel, and food alone for one weekend. There are 35,000 attendees. In order to make enough stock, I have to produce decals a month or two ahead of time.

I think I sold 2,500 decals to 700 people or so last time? I have lots of leftover decals that need to last till the next show, or the show after that.

I do my best to run light, and produce what I've run out of in the hotels I stay at. (with my graphtec craft robo) Unfortunately, I could run all night like an insomniac and still run well short. Take a look at what I sell. No way I can make these on the fly ^_^.

Angelic Female Paladin (Oracal 651, Copper)

Chimera Dragon (Creative Blue polychrome, Creative Green mirror lense)

• Like 5