Sign in to follow this  
tooler82

Help With Laying Down

This happens to me everytime I put vinyl on somewhere that has a crease. How do I get this to lay down?

post-80805-0-44630700-1432731398_thumb.j

I would try making another thread, (looks like a forum issue)...

Heat the vinyl and "push" into the crease. After it sits and the vinyl is holding I would recommend post heating to just to insure that it holds...be careful not to heat to the point that it starts lifting again or you might as well redo the vinyl. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. It's not a big issue since it's an amulance they're turning in, but I've always heated and tucked, but it never works. Maybe it's just so wet so I should let it sit and dry first?

If wet pop it and squeeze the fluid out

• Like 1

Thanks guys. It's not a big issue since it's an amulance they're turning in, but I've always heated and tucked, but it never works. Maybe it's just so wet so I should let it sit and dry first?

I always "evaporate" the liquid with my heat gun. Takes about 10 minutes or so once the decal is already down but once its dry should stay down. 

• Like 1

just another thought you said you was using 3m vinyl with air release, you are never supposed to instal and air release wet . . . Blocks the micro air channels in the adhesive. Not sure that will fix this problem but just an observation
  • Like 3

I didn't know this is a dry application only. Dang. Now I'll have to get really good at doing this dry.

Oh yeah good point Dakota...wrap vinyl should always be applied dry if it has the air release. Still will work the same way with heat though. 

• Like 1

I am just full of lots of totally useless information that occasionally comes in handy

• Like 5

3M primer comes in handy for the creases.

we use it in all tough spots and all edges on our wraps.  Vinyl sticks it it like no other.

• Like 1

I didn't know this is a dry application only. Dang. Now I'll have to get really good at doing this dry.

If you have good app tape you can "POP" it back up as you work along if you haven't hit it with the squeegee yet (and if it hasn't touched back on itself). I rarely use the air release type but what I did it seemed easier to work with than regular is cause you could chase your bubbles out and it was a little thicker. 

• Like 1

The calendered vinyl, even after you heat, will try to return to it's original state. That's why it will pop back up, along with the air channels being wet.

What is that 3M adhesive? Isn't it 3M Primer 94 to put in creases like that?

What is that 3M adhesive? Isn't it 3M Primer 94 to put in creases like that?

Yes it promotes adhesion in places where the vinyl may be "over stretched". Probably don't need it for this. I use for wraps when im under the rail on boats and in really tight spots on vehicles that will require lots of "finesse" 

• Like 1

I think it was Dakota who posted a link on here long time ago to some videos and/or articles made by some of the pro's and I watched and read them and the tips on proper squeegee technique and how to approach a specific problem were fantastic. Helped me probably more than anything else at that stage of my new venture. In a nutshell, there is some serious techniques to using the squeegee properly to avoid the bubbles and wrinkles. Biggest thing is working from the middle out and work your squeegee nice and straight up and down from the middle up then the middle down then move over and repeat working across from left to right (also from the middle if it's very big). Hard to explain in words. When you start getting around rivets or other things it gets more particular too but with some practice I dry apply most of the time and only rarely get bubbles and when I do I know because I felt it when I got a little crazy with the squeegee. You also want to get good pressure from the squeegee without causing too much friction because the friction will stretch the whole thing and at some point you end up with a problem from the stretch. The one guy ran his with his knuckles about dragging the app tape so the squeegee was almost laying flat. 

If I were putting on that big red cross I would first cut it so I was only working the top or bottom half. Then I would hang it just right and run a center hinge vertically a little to the left of center. Then leaving the left side hanging with enough tape that it won't do anything while you ignore it take the right side and fold it back on itself  over the top of the left side, not so far that you create a tight bend in the app tape but enough that you get to the vertical hinge and pull the carrier from the vinyl. Have your extra set of hands carefully hold the app tape from the corners so it can't get messed up while you use some scissors to cut away as much of the carrier as you can get to without messing up the hanging part your partner is holding then have your helper move the flap you are working with over and hold it taunt with the edges of the app tape a few inches off the side of the vehicle. You can then move in and start the squeegee work from the middle at the point where the carrier is cut and work over to your helper who will gradually let the edges get a little closer to the side as you get to him. Once you are to the edge then remove the hanging tape and the hinge tape and fold the vinyl back over what you just installed and pull the rest of the carrier off and repeat going the other direction with your helper doing the same thing again only on that side this time. 

Be careful what you watch on youtube because a lot of those yaahoo's have horrible squeegee technique and will mislead you.