Sign in to follow this  
pasogrande

Getting back into the business

Together with my older daughter and younger son I am starting in this business.   Many years ago my son had a small shop making cars look and sound faster.   This must have been 17 or 18 years ago.   He went to a show in Las Vegas where they were demonstrating vehicle graphics.   So I bought a Roland CAMM=1, Flexi and a supply of vinyl.   That machine paid for itself many times over.   When I decided to stop funding the business I kept the machine at home.   Since then I have done a few odd paying jobs;  and quite a few charity and family (ie non-paying jobs)   When I crashed my last Dell that had serial & parallel ports, I sort of lost interest.

Recently we were asked to make a number of items  -  several thousand dollars' worth  -  which involved printing and cutting.   After a lot of research I bought a used Roland BN-20.   This is a great machine for small run jobs, but only takes a maximum width of 20" media.   I am amazed at the quality of the printing and am trying to learn how to get full advantage of it.   With a lot of connections, we have been given a lot of work.

My younger daughter has given up her embroidery and T-shirt business;  so my older daughter made her an offer and we drive to pick up the equipment in two weeks' time.   So mid-June we will move into an office, and be offering several services, mostly online and word-of-mouth.   We are going through the legal stuff right now - corporate name setting up Federal and State taxes, and getting some legeal and tax/accounting advice.   Since I am retired, my daughter is also running an office and my son has two full-time jobs we do not want a storefront.

Another posting on this forum gave very useful information on true costing (thanks mac6986) and this will be a good guide to us, not just for vinyl cutting.   We are trying to work out how we can have a rtail pricing, a 'friends' price and a 'family' price.   Also a way to compensate people who bring us work.

I agree sounds like your headed in the right direction Good Luck...

Hello Welcome to the forum and good luck with your business.