ok, good to know, thanks guys. I think im gonna shop around for some 'refurbished' units see if I cant get a servo motor unit for a steal. if not i think its the SC for me.

really appreciate the info. at least now I know what to look for. please post if you anything like that!

Im going look around for a second hand cutter, will share any URL's i find as long as you guys dont out bid me! haha

I run a retail sign shop, using the MH 871 (31") and SignBlazer (no cost cutting/designing program).

My number one complaint about using it ----  the pinch-roller assemblies do not slide smoothly across the rail when moving them into various positions. You have to "baby" those things along the rail.

post-21408-0-73188800-1432267161_thumb.j

akumbc - I ran my small business on a P-Cut for several years. It is no longer available but the Laser Point 2 is basically in the same league, about 2 steps above the bottom. Once I switched to a good servo cutter my quality of work improved a surprising amount, especially on the small stuff and I saved a lot of money on messed up work when the P-Cut would off-track or wig out. Budget cutters are surprisingly accurate but then you step into the servo world and are amazed at the minute detail that shows up. I didn't realize that I was missing anything.

Your basic question is will the MH get it done. Probably. How much more to step up to the SC? Worth every penny and the next step too up to the LP2 is worth it too if you can find the money. The budget cutters do mid sized stuff that ranges from 10" to 24" with reasonably sized lettering and detail good enough. When you step up to do very large/long or really small stuff they start to show their weakness. I needed a machine that could do many multiple copies without problems and that motivated my purchase. It's not hard to achieve ROI with a vinyl cutter and a little effort. 

• Like 1

akumbc - I ran my small business on a P-Cut for several years. It is no longer available but the Laser Point 2 is basically in the same league, about 2 steps above the bottom. Once I switched to a good servo cutter my quality of work improved a surprising amount, especially on the small stuff and I saved a lot of money on messed up work when the P-Cut would off-track or wig out. Budget cutters are surprisingly accurate but then you step into the servo world and are amazed at the minute detail that shows up. I didn't realize that I was missing anything.

Your basic question is will the MH get it done. Probably. How much more to step up to the SC? Worth every penny and the next step too up to the LP2 is worth it too if you can find the money. The budget cutters do mid sized stuff that ranges from 10" to 24" with reasonably sized lettering and detail good enough. When you step up to do very large/long or really small stuff they start to show their weakness. I needed a machine that could do many multiple copies without problems and that motivated my purchase. It's not hard to achieve ROI with a vinyl cutter and a little effort. 

This is one of the best worded posts I have read on here. It needs to be stickied in the pre purchase section.

The second paragraph about budget cutters is so spot-on.

On a side note, in the long run having owned a budget cutter has taught me allot.

• Like 1

Check out the for sale section, there is a 24" copam listed which is one of the best stepper motor cutters and works fine with many programs.

Donn

• Like 1

Would love an expert's opinion:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Demo-Saga-720IP-28-Vinyl-Cutter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-/161705339450

Saw this, a servo motor with a laser for contour cutting at 400 and got excited. it is used, but 400 and free shipping? Im skeptical. Any thoughts? Figured its safer to go with Uscutters laserpointer II which has the contour cutting, but thats still a stepper motor. I dont really need the contour cutting feature, but thought it would be nice to "grow into" considering idk what ill need in a year and then the servo motor sold me. Any experience with the SAGA brand? or the Design and Cut Professional Software: (SCALPro) software?

I would like to get the 24" copam, really appreciate the post Donn thats the kinda 'value buy' im looking for. Waiting to see if he has the software with it. Any workarounds for getting solid software, free versions online? I can imagine the best cutter in the world is useless without solid software and I know the "sure cuts a lot" is like 200 right?

agreed, wildgoose that was very helpful, thanks a lot. 

The Saga cutter is the same as the Titan that UScutter sells....  The Titian is just a rebranded SAGA...  Servo motor will be more accurate, and quieter.

I have a Professional Graphtec FC cutter and use Flexistarter (bare bones software) as my cutting soft ware.   Great expensive software cannot make a value cutter cut any better than it was designed to cut.   A value cutter is STILL a Value cutter. with cheap technology.

my bad that SAGA is also a stepper. Must have gotten it mixed up with one of the 13 internet tabs I have open haha. Ok that makes the price more realistic. 400 for a servo would have been the lowest ive seen, I was excited.

actually it has stepper motor listed in the description but servo written in for its specs? thats weird, gonna stay away from it anyway. Thanks guys