Sign in to follow this  
lee157

FREDDY KRUEGER won't leave me alone-Blade cuts across work

Guest sciondrgn

I will occasionally have the issue of it slicing the vinyl when it shouldn't.. For me it only does it on text and only on larger pieces, To me it sounds like just a communication problem because its inconsistent. Ive used SignBlazer and Flexi with the same results as a test,

I cut the same exact file 3 times with each program and the slices happened in different places. It does not do it on every file and i have never had it happen on a clip art style graphic, it only seems to happen on text/fonts and on larger cuts.  I cut 50 1"x12" website URLs all at one time and never had one slice, but cutting one large 24x36 I ended up getting a slice or two within the lettering.

There has to be a rhyme and reason as to why it does, the conditions have to be just right but I have noticed that doing other things on the computer while something is cutting yields worse results in my case. Its more then likely a combination of memory on the unit along with PC speed.. Overall Ive had great results though.

Guest gracewriter

Thanks for keeping us updated.  I'll be sure to turn off all my other programs from now on.

i have this same exact problem but only on larger jobs or letterings as well. its cost me over 40' of wasted material in the past month. i wish someone had an answer to what is causing this because i know they wont be reimbursing me for cutting into my pockets

Well I got almost all my stuff cut but I did end up having a random cut even with the dedicated computer but using the dedicated computer is by far better than what I had before. So it does seem to be a communication problem someplace but as of now I think I have it to a tolerable level anyway.

I will add that the random cut was done on a text series,,, I had been drawing on my desktop then moving the files to the cutter PC, come to find out the font I used from my desktop wasn't installed on the cutter PC so it was cutting the closest match. I added that font to the cutter PC and it cut the same text error free, so maybe it was due to it being confused on the font?

Ken is working on these problems so any detailed information people can give him I'm sure will be greatly appreciated. You may add to your report the specs and type of PC you are using plus any programs you may have had running in the background.

I know my desktop computer has quite a few USB and Firewire items hooked to it plus several programs to hook Cell phones up by USB, my weather station runs on the serial port so I have a LOT of traffic on it and it has a LOT of USB item history all of which could be causing problems.

So if you have an old laptop or desktop PC laying around that you can strip down to run the cutter you may see better results like I did. I would also like to try a virgin install of XP, just start from fresh and ONLY load the cutter on it and see what that does, not going to happen anytime soon for me though.

Hi all,

I'm experiencing the very same problems. Using Signblazer elements and a redsail cutter.

Most of the time it is fine, but a couple of weeks ago this happened, only once and i forgot about it.

Came to do some yesterday and it happened again. I cut part of a 2 color design and it cut fine, basically a long logo. I then cut some pieces of text, 3 pieces of text going down the vinyl, each had a border around it, each about 2m long, about half way through the second line of text (i.e. in the centre of the vinyl going down the length of the vinyl) it started zigzagging badly, I hit the power on the cutter to try and salvage some of the vinyl. Had I been applying these I'd have got away with some of it but these are being sent to someone for them to apply so I'll need to redo them.

On closer examination, some of the extra cut marks seem to be where the cutter moves accross the vinyl inbetween cuts, but others seem more random. I rebooted the pc (decent spec, core duo 8200, 2 gig corsair xms etc) and tried again, this time it failed in a different place but similar results.

I then (without a reboot) cut out 4 logos, each about 20cm square with borders, these are arranged 2 accross and 2 down the vinyl. Nothing changes, same roll (whats left of it...) of vinyl, same settings, exactly the same. It cut perfectly.

Im now out of that color as I had just enough for the job, now its going to cost me for some new vinyl and of course the cost of shipping it to me - not happy.

I dont know if its the software or the cutter, but what I will do later is put in a roll pf paper and send the same design to it a few times (it has plotted on paper fine before - I usually send anything new out to paper so I can check it for errors etc)

I'll post back with my results but it does seem rather hit and miss so going to be difficult to track down. In the meantime I will contact the support people for the cutter and see if they can offer any advice.

Contacted cutter spplier,before I'd even finished explaining the problem he cut me short and said it was most likely a communication issue and was very common, especially with usb. I'll try plugging into the serial port tomrrow and fire off some tests.

Contacted cutter spplier,before I'd even finished explaining the problem he cut me short and said it was most likely a communication issue and was very common, especially with usb. I'll try plugging into the serial port tomrrow and fire off some tests.

First thing I would have suggested if you were using USB. Switching to the Serial connection has helped many.