ddprinting

New sign design without copyright issues???

So I just bought some storage units and am working on a new sign to put up.  The storage facility is called Outback Storage.  I would like some rolling hills over the name but wondering about copyright issues with Outback steakhouse.  What are your thoughts with the windmill, sun and rolling hills?  Is this too close to some other logo or do you have any suggestions or you think this is fine for a 4'x8' sign on a storage unit building?  Looking for any input, thanks!!!

post-19960-0-52405300-1431574417_thumb.j

Personally, I would say they are different enough not to cause any confusion between the two companies. Of course, any advice that you receive here won't hold up in a court of law. Pay a lawyer and get actual legal advice. If Outback Steakhouse wants to sue you, they can and will. They might not be in the right, or win, but they could try.

I don't see copyright being an issue. From a design standpoint that windmill must be huge up close :)! It's not proportionate to the mountains and the sun gives me the same feeling. Maybe lose the windmill and make the sun much bigger and popping up from behind the mountains with some big rays...... just a thought

Yea I don't see a problem with that , not the same font and and the hills are not the same style , but from far away people might think it's the steakhouse haha

haha ya its a huge windmill....i know the windmill needs to be small and so does the sun but just getting some thought about the overall copyright thing.  Thanks for your input!!!!

That combination of the SAME STYLE DESIGN with those rolling hills above the text is gonna be problematic, I would think

Look into SignBlazer Elements, which has a few rustic sign borders included in the Library (Draw menu --- SignElements -- Panels)

There are three different types with wood branches as borders, and two with scenes that say "Outback" (one a windmill and another with hopping kangaroos) --  Jerry Bonham, the creator of SignBlazer, was Australian, so that's why these are in there !!!

You would be able to use these, without copyright issues.

• Like 1

I highly doubt Outback Steakhouse would give a single damn about your design for some small storage unit, I don't even see them catching the smallest wind of the matter.

I have to admit, first thing that came to mind when I saw the image was the steak house. That being said, after closer inspection it is significantly different, however it's that quick glance that could cause head aches if the steakhouse place wanted to press it.

Create your own, ORIGINAL graphics and forget about it and move on.

• Like 2

Careful study of the law protects them even from other work that is inspired by their design however it is NOT in the same sales market so there is an argument that direction too. I think I would either do as Skarekrow suggested and design something original or at the very least hire an attorney to try and get some clarity. Easier to just come up with something else. Maybe something depicting a backyard ghetto kind of theme. Ha ha ha! 

Just don't start serving steaks and bloomin onions out of a unit and you should be fine :)

BWaaahaaahaaa! ROFL!

If you have to ask, then it is usually a good idea to change the design. The design is similar enough that it may cause you problems. It is not worth the hassle.

• Like 3

that look familiar. Hmm track walk days lol. looks like a triple double into a roller. or in Bubba's mind a quad to the windmill on to a step on step off. But I would change it.

Remember, there are people (shyster lawyers, 'Harley reps', same thing), who's business is finding copyright violations, and reporting them to whatever company, for a piece of the lawsuit pie. Sad, but true.

• Like 2

As long as its different theme you'll be okay.

Outback is plain English word and can not be trademarked. Law allows to trademark 'use' meaning you can not open restaurant with this name but storage company is fine.

In order to succesfully sue you outback will need to proof that customers confusing your outback with their's which is impossible in your case.

I'd rather store my stuff 'in-side' or 'up-front' rather than 'out-back'.

• Like 1

Problem comes from not them being able to successfully sue, but them starting the suit in the first place. They have the money to start it and drag it out as long as they want and likely cause the rental place to go broke trying to fight it, even if they are 100% legal.

All the former comments taken into consideration I think as long as they are not right next door to a restaurant and aren't some big chain business (which if they are that big they better spend a little to cover their butt) then the likelihood that there would ever be a problem is pretty low and I would think the worst case would be a cease and desist letter kind of thing that may or may not be worth fighting. I think I would still change the layout a little if it were me. The scenery over the top is pretty similar in overall design. 

"I think as long as they are not right next door to a restaurant ...then the likelihood that there would ever be a problem is pretty low"

Who's to say they won't become a Large, Chain Business ?

Besides, why would one enter into a business situation with their a$$ exposed with a questionable name/ logo ?

Don't be a Slacker, create an original.

• Like 2