TauntDevil

Pinch Roller Confusion

Hello all... yet... again..

With another dumb question that I actually found the answer too this time but does not make sense or in other words, is incorrect I guess you can say.

So my question is... where to place the pinch rollers so the vinyl wont shift as much.
Its not really an issue when doing smaller vinyls about 24" or so wide but more of the long wise where the vinyl moves a lot, the vinyl seems to shift a little.

I knew about pinch rollers when I got the cutter from reading on the manual but they didn't work or at least, the instructions are not very detailed and seems to be missing a bit of information on how to place them correctly.

This is from the Manual PDF

2hwoayu.jpg

So this is not how I have had it all this time. My rollers have been on the errr... kernal rollers (under the white marks) I think they are called (bottom, controlled rollers) and it works great but when following the instructions, the vinyl cant move. Just doesnt grab and if you put the pinch rollers too close to the kernal rollers (The name of them for this post) then it will just bind and basically ruin the vinyl. A guy on another forum that posted before said that you have two pinch rollers on the kernal rollers and one pinch roller offset but that also wrinkled and binded the vinyl whether I put it on the open plane or near a kernal roller...

So my question is... where do you place them correctly?

Again, this is something that only becomes an issue when doing long decals or close to the edge decals. Otherwise, not an issue.

As always, thank you in advance and again, sorry for these dumb questions!

1st of all...NOT A DUMB QUESTION!!! STUPID INSTRUCTIONS!!!

TauntDevil, yes, the picture you're showing is wrong. the pinch rollers ARE supposed to be right above the knurled part of your feed rollers and are NOT supposed to be over the white marks. If you're ruining vinyl, you have to find out how to adjust the pressure of the pinch rollers....You're manual doesn't have that? 1st thing in the morning, if I were you, I'd call USCUTTER if nobody posts a solution by the time you wake up.

I reread the instructions that are on the left side of the picture... the 4th sentence:

"the best method to follow is simply to ensure that the pinch-rollers are directly above the knurled part of the feed-rollers."  Then it goes on to say about the break in the feed-roller identified by the white tape yada yada yada....but the last sentence KILLS ME :rolleyes:  "IN THE IMAGE YOU CAN ALSO SEE THAT THE PINCH-ROLLERS ARE POSITIONED TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BREAK AND ARE FULLY ON TOP THE KNURLED FEED ROLLER BAR."

THAT'S NOT WHAT THE PICTURE SHOWS!!!!I IT SHOWS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT THEY SAID WHAT TO DO!!!!!! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

like frustrated said in your case do  not put it in the white area they have to be above the knurled part.  the confusion is that MOST cutters on the market have white stripes above where you should put the pinch rollers - the  model shown uses the opposite convention for marking.   once you realize that the rollers have to be above the knurled part it is easy to figure out.  the other big flaw in too many of usc's manuals and videos is too many of them mention the absolute wrong way to set your blade by referring to the 1/2 credit card depth - which is easily 10 times too much blade and causes a LOT of issues for new useers

• Like 1

Frustrated, the picture looks correct to me. Both pinch rollers are to the right of the gap that you want to avoid having them in. Both rollers are making contact with the knurled bottom roller.

6j2ixc.jpg

Made this to maybe try and clear stuff up. I currently have the setup of #1 on all 3 rollers. When I go to #2 on all rollers is when it wont catch the vinyl and doesnt move. If I put two rollers like #1 and one pinch roller like #2 then that is when it will bunch up and it bunches up from the rollers, not the blade.

I really really appreciate the current tips. I agree with dakotagrafx about the credit card depth. I never tried it but it is just easier to cut off some vinyl and test the blade depth but cutting circles in the vinyl and making sure it doesnt cut the bottom layer.

Ah, ok, sounds like your cutter, and the photos from the manual don't match up. The white bars in the photo from the manual are showing you were not to put the rollers. Where as on your machine the white bars show you were you WANT to put the rollers. Curious, what model of cutter do you have?

From my observation the text in the pic sounds like it's some sort of generic document because it states "Most vinyl cutter will have specific places where the pinch rollers cannot be placed" suggesting that it is not a document for a specific cutter which would direct you plainly where you should be placing them. I'm like Dakota, I have not seen markings of places to AVOID but rather markings of where it is suggested TO put them. At the end of the day once you know where you should be placing them you no longer need to channel Sherlock Holmes to get it right. 

On the high end cutters they typically have a wide spot on the far right side and then a drive roller every 6 inches heading from right to left at 6, 12, 18, 24, 30 etc. and you just move the left roller to the closest one that will still let the right roller be within it's adjusting window. I remember my 48" P-Cut was a little different and some intermediate widths like 8"-10" had to be positioned 2/3 of the way over on the machine to still hit gnurling on both rollers which looking back now seems just about weird as all get out but is the way it was. 

Ah, ok, sounds like your cutter, and the photos from the manual don't match up. The white bars in the photo from the manual are showing you were not to put the rollers. Where as on your machine the white bars show you were you WANT to put the rollers. Curious, what model of cutter do you have?

Perfect. I appreciate it! Glad I have been doing it correctly.

Previous post they called it LaserPrint 24"   I would assume it is the Laser Pointer 11

^ I apologize if I typed it wrong in a previous post but you would be correct. Laserpoint ii 24".

Btw, (regarding previous post) working on a stand currently. Dont think I ignored you. ;D

From my observation the text in the pic sounds like it's some sort of generic document because it states "Most vinyl cutter will have specific places where the pinch rollers cannot be placed" suggesting that it is not a document for a specific cutter which would direct you plainly where you should be placing them. I'm like Dakota, I have not seen markings of places to AVOID but rather markings of where it is suggested TO put them. At the end of the day once you know where you should be placing them you no longer need to channel Sherlock Holmes to get it right. 

On the high end cutters they typically have a wide spot on the far right side and then a drive roller every 6 inches heading from right to left at 6, 12, 18, 24, 30 etc. and you just move the left roller to the closest one that will still let the right roller be within it's adjusting window. I remember my 48" P-Cut was a little different and some intermediate widths like 8"-10" had to be positioned 2/3 of the way over on the machine to still hit gnurling on both rollers which looking back now seems just about weird as all get out but is the way it was. 

Interesting info. The Laserpoint has each knurled roller every 8" except for all the way to the right where is has two about an inch apart from each other. Though not a high end machine. The instructions were in the Laserpoint ii support section so I assumed it was for that specific cutter. little did I think it was universal. I apologize.

The LaserPoint II i got last week has those white stickers directly above the roller locations

Thank you everyone for the help!

EXACTLY!!! That's why I said the INSTRUCTIONS were CRAP :angry: !!!!!!!!! 

WG explained it well also...My cutter has BLUE tape right above the knurled parts, so you know where to put them CORRECTLY!!!

See TauntDevil?? DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK ;D  ;D  ;D !!!!!!!!!!! This forum ISN'T going to rip you a new one ;) !!!!